You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows has launched!

TonyB

Hi everyone.

I repeat my last questions of some days ago, given that I have not yet received any response

"Just out of curiosity...

Since the first official release of Affinity Designer I have seen that you didn't upload any new upgrade.

Are you planning to do it ?

There are many features requested by us and it could be great if some of that requests could be included
in a new upgrade.

You can find some other personal additional annotations at :

Have a nice day.

- Marco (mkdm)

We usually do several updates a year. Since 1.5 was only launched in mid-November, there hasn't been enough time for a new update yet, especially as Windows was a new platform and had quite a few Windows-specific bugs (and we've the Christmas holidays in the middle). We did launch Photo for Windows in that period, so we have been busy.

The beta for 1.6 should start within a month or so.

We usually do several updates a year. Since 1.5 was only launched in mid-November, there hasn't been enough time for a new update yet, especially as Windows was a new platform and had quite a few Windows-specific bugs (and we've the Christmas holidays in the middle). We did launch Photo for Windows in that period, so we have been busy.

The beta for 1.6 should start within a month or so.

Ok. Thank you very much for your reply.

I stay tuned.

Best.

- Marco (mkdm)

My Windows laptop, on the other hand, is entry-level.

I'm really impressed by Designer's responsiveness on the lower-spec machine. Subjectively, it's not a million miles from a workstation performance, at least when working on relatively straight forward files such as cartoons.

Aongus, Affinity's website says we need a graphics card to run Designer, but most laptops have integrated graphics. Does your laptop have any souped-up graphics features to run Designer? I ask because my laptop is very "entry-level" and I'm looking for something better than Illustrator. Thanks

The card definitely has its impact.  But I have realized the way it is perceived depends on each individual, and also, in the planned usage for the tool.
Illustrator is really, really good. Expecting anything to beat Illustrator might be a stretch. If anything, I would say that Affinity Designer is quite more intuitive /easier to learn for new users (and quite a number of pros) than Illustrator, by far. And yeah, that can be indeed absolutely key. Affinity Designer is very good, and has an extremely good price/purchase option. (and even more considering the other options in the market...)

I would recommend installing a graphics card in your laptop, if that's possible. (one that is supported by it, of course). A powerful average but modern one would be desirable. I for one I can handle stuff with very low performance, as I kind of use many tricks. I have seen many artist colleagues doing this as well. But that path is not for everyone...

If you have a powerful PC or Mac with a normal graphic card in it, I'd recommend that for a better experience.

1.6 is going to be very good. I'd recommend to stay tuned, DEFINITELY. :) 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.