You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows has launched!

TonyB

We are trying to be fair to everyone. We thought £29.99 together with the free goodies was very fair. 

Its certainly a fair price, but I think what desult means is that Serif Drawplus owners were expecting a special discount rather than the same discount that anyone can get.  Its no big deal to me, but I can see why some might feel a little slighted.

Well when I saw that AD is coming to windows (as a beta at that moment) I was like "Shut up and take my money" and I stayed true to my word.

Got my copy a min ago :) Wish I knew brush box set would be included tho :/ anyways gl to you with AP now and polishing AD further more.

Oh and 1 question: I know that AD v.2 is a bit far away but I gotta ask, will there be an update option or will we have to pay for it as if we were new users?

Congratulations on your Windows launch.

I've already got the Mac version, running it on a fairly powerful Mac Pro with lots of memory and a decent graphics card.

My Windows laptop, on the other hand, is entry-level.

I'm really impressed by Designer's responsiveness on the lower-spec machine. Subjectively, it's not a million miles from a workstation performance, at least when working on relatively straight forward files such as cartoons.

And it works beautifully with a Wacom Intuous tablet. 

Affinity Designer is amazing value for pro software. The value proposition is even better when you factor in that Designer allows you to use older hardware for longer (also an environmental benefit!).

• Staff

Well when I saw that AD is coming to windows (as a beta at that moment) I was like "Shut up and take my money" and I stayed true to my word.

Got my copy a min ago :) Wish I knew brush box set would be included tho :/ anyways gl to you with AP now and polishing AD further more.

Oh and 1 question: I know that AD v.2 is a bit far away but I gotta ask, will there be an update option or will we have to pay for it as if we were new users?

Affinity was priced for an App Store world where updates arn't a thing. The alternative would be to charge £80 and upgrades would be £40.

Just purchased affinity designer for windows and have few questions.

I'm a freelance illustrator. I don't own any company. I do work on contracts. I make money doing freelance jobs.

In which category am I? Do I have to purchase commercial licence to use your software or is it personal use because I intend to use it personaly to make money.

If it's just for messing around with it than I dont't get it. Why would I buy affintiy designer for? To play around with brushes in my free time or to make money with the tool that I've just purchased? Is this something like a student licence? So I can learn to work with your software. If so why not make it free? Can you please explain this to me?

Another thing. On how many computers can I install it. I have desktop and laptop. Can I install it on both since I can only use one of them at the time or do I need to purchase individual licence for every PC i own?

Thanks

• Staff

Just purchased affinity designer for windows and have few questions.

I'm a freelance illustrator. I don't own any company. I do work on contracts. I make money doing freelance jobs.

In which category am I? Do I have to purchase commercial licence to use your software or is it personal use because I intend to use it personaly to make money.

If it's just for messing around with it than I dont't get it. Why would I buy affintiy designer for? To play around with brushes in my free time or to make money with the tool that I've just purchased? Is this something like a student licence? So I can learn to work with your software. If so why not make it free? Can you please explain this to me?

Another thing. On how many computers can I install it. I have desktop and laptop. Can I install it on both since I can only use one of them at the time or do I need to purchase individual licence for every PC i own?

Thanks

Your purchase covers both personal and commercial use. The only difference is if used in a commercial environment then all the machines you use it on are assumed you are the only user of those machines.

The order form doesn't ask for company name or tax information.

You will receive an order confirmation receipt that includes a VAT breakdown.

This is the actual text of the licence section

The licence granted to you is limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive. Except to the extent any rights cannot be excluded by law, you are permitted:

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase. 

(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: ( a ) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or ( b ) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

Hope this helps.

Ok, but how do I buy license for my company so it's my company that's on the invoice? I need invoice that have name and address of the company that sells me something and that includes my company's name, address and tax ID. Not necessarily my own name.

To make things easier - what about situation where I own company and have one employee for which I want to buy your soft?

BTW What if I'd like to use commercial license on more then two machines? Is this possible somehow? Like additional fee or something?

I tried to buy the app but I couldn't complete the purchase using Firefox browser, it kept flaging up the credit card number input red.

I used Chrome in the end and completed with no issues.

Looking forward to see where you guys and girls take this app. :D

I used Firefox to buy it. That's weird.

Best regards!

• Staff

Hi. I'd rather not make a new topic for this: how are updates handled? Does it have an auto-update system?

When you run the Application it will check to see if there is a new update, It will then ask to if you want to download the update. 

Ok, but how do I buy license for my company so it's my company that's on the invoice? I need invoice that have name and address of the company that sells me something and that includes my company's name, address and tax ID. Not necessarily my own name.

To make things easier - what about situation where I own company and have one employee for which I want to buy your soft?

BTW What if I'd like to use commercial license on more then two machines? Is this possible somehow? Like additional fee or something?

As a sole trader, I'm interested in some of the points you raised.

1. Typically companies or traders ask for a VAT invoice in order to reclaim that part of a transaction when they submit a VAT return later. Software vendors such as Smith Micro have set up systems that allow customers to input their national VAT IDs in the checkout pages and -- in accordance with international agreements -- those purchases are zero-rated. I'd like to see Serif adopt that system in time, but currently their prices are so low as not to make it a big issue.

2. My understanding is that Serif's licence is basically per user, not per machine. If I have a number of computers, I may use the software on only one system at a time. If I hire an employee or a sub-contractor, I need to purchase an additional licence. This is good: if a machine dies, the licence lets me use the software on a replacement. If business expands to the point where I must employ someone else, the cost of an extra licence would be very small in comparison to my employer's liabilities!

As a sole trader, I'm interested in some of the points you raised.

1. Typically companies or traders ask for a VAT invoice in order to reclaim that part of a transaction when they submit a VAT return later. Software vendors such as Smith Micro have set up systems that allow customers to input their national VAT IDs in the checkout pages and -- in accordance with international agreements -- those purchases are zero-rated. I'd like to see Serif adopt that system in time, but currently their prices are so low as not to make it a big issue.

2. My understanding is that Serif's licence is basically per user, not per machine. If I have a number of computers, I may use the software on only one system at a time. If I hire an employee or a sub-contractor, I need to purchase an additional licence. This is good: if a machine dies, the licence lets me use the software on a replacement. If business expands to the point where I must employ someone else, the cost of an extra licence would be very small in comparison to my employer's liabilities!

Thanks for your response.

Ad 1. That's true. The price is really great but I just wanted to know how is everything regarding license to not to make some mistake. For example who will be true owner of the license when I can't put my company on the order form?

Ad 2. So if I have four machines that I use for commercial work I could use all of them with obvious exception that I will use one at the time and it's not shared machine? And what if machine has more then one account (lets for the purpose of argument that my brother uses it for private things) and that means more then one owner?

• Staff

This is not automatic yet. For a receipt, buy the software and email affinityorders@serif.com and they can provide you with one. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

So once we buy the app we never have to pay for any updates or upgrades ever again?

You are buying a licence for version 1 so currently 1.5 with future releases of 1.6 and 1.7 etc containing fixes and new features are included in the price. There is a roadmap of features for version 1

One day we could do a version 2 (with 2.1 and 2.2 and 2.3 updates) you would need to pay again for version 2

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I have both Affinity Designer and Photo for mac (love the products but im working on switching to pc) will i be able to get the windows versions @ a discount

Hi wrparks :)

We've no way to know who has purchased the Mac products as the Mac App Store provides no mechanism to give us information about our customers - only Apple has that information and they will not divulge it. So we did the next best thing of simply offering the software at an introductory discount... if you're a current customer/beta user you're more likely to find out about the software at this point and be able to take advantage of the lower price. :)

Thanks,

Matt

Both.

Hmmm... broken promises from Serif again.

Guess I would have to agree, got the email where they promised a special upgrade price for DrawPlus X8 users and signed up for the beta. But instead reward everyone who did not test or own any prior products with special pricing while ignoring your loyalty and time testing the Beta for them. It is however the Liberal way of doing things in some businesses these days and you are dealing with a company in the UK. I give my repeat customers discounts on services but new customers I do not because if my loyal customers found out I was giving the same discounts to new customers I would lose those loyal customers out right. That's business 101 which is not compatible with Liberal version of fair. I did testing for Microsoft for years and was very active with reports and also very loyal to their products Windows phone 10, Windows 10 Pro, Office 365 the whole family always up to date. Results: XBOX One was replaced for free twice even out of warranty, sent a lot of Microsoft points and membership extensions plus special discounts only available to me not the general public that did not participate or new customers. Worst case of course is cable companies raising rates on loyal customers 14 years with Cox Cable for internet) while giving new customers half the price of what you pay... took them years to realize why so many left for Directv or Dish... now that they have lost a lot of business I get a special loyal customer offer for their streaming TV service for 9.95 a month no catch... I was shocked and had to call them to make sure there was no catch. Serif has been around for a long time and I have purchased all products (except Movie edit) from them for 7 years and now the same offer to anyone is exactly a slap in the face to loyal and beta testers period. Magix operates the same way (with them since 1996) Took a phone call to make them to look at my history of purchases to say oh crap since 1996? Just showed how much they paid attention to their loyal customers while giving the same discounts to new. Granted they finally after looking at my purchase history gave me 3 free upgrades to three of my products which I did not ask for just a proper discount but hey still with them today and still always upgrading. I suspect they will actually use their database of loyal customers more efficiently now. I'm on the fence right now... going to see how this plays out before I purchase it. Rewarding people for not contributing or shown any loyalty to your product or business is the Liberal way of doing things... at Least America finally woke up and the UK. Apparently some of the businesses and mentality may take some time to change. We will see... Going to have to share this on Facebook so I can educate some of my Liberal friends... :)

My Ultimate Home Audio/Video/Graphic Workstation

Core I7 980 6 core / Windows 10 pro 64bit

24 gig ram DDR3 triple Channel / 2 GeForce 970 4gig SLI

Qty 3 250g OCZ SSD Raid 0 Qty 2 Samsung 120gig Raid 0 (audio and video cache) Plus WD Raid edition 2 TB Raid 0

Multiple NAS setups for backups / Bluray drive

LG 34" Inch Ultrawide 3440x1440 with 2 Samsung 24"

Akai APC40 Pro / Roland Jp8000 / Razer Firefly Chroma / Ouroboros / BlackWidow Chroma

Dual FireStudio Project 16 channel audio with EuroRack pro / Event 20/20 studio monitors

16 port Gigabit Smart Switch with Link aggregation / fast internet 20up/300dn