You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi MCFC_4Heatons,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't support layered Fireworks PNG files. Fireworks saves out additional layer data to PNG files such as objects attributes, effects etc in a proprietary format/data that was never made public. As such those PNG's can only be interpreted/used as flattened images by third party apps. If you still have access to Fireworks you may try to export the file as a PSD and import it into Affinity. It should may keep some elements editable (as well as layers structure).

This approach does a good job on keeping design elements in place.  However, it stacks up all the text on top of each other in the upper corner.   I would love to convert all my .fw files over to AD but this font issue makes it a painful process.

Ryan.

• Staff

Hi Ryan,

Can you please send me the original Fireworks PNG and the PSD file you exported from Fireworks - the one displaying the text issue - so I can add it to our log/check what's going wrong?

You can use this link to upload the file directly to me. Don't forget to add your forum's username (@gr8rck) to the file's name so I can identify it.

All files will be deleted after being checked.

Thanks.

This approach does a good job on keeping design elements in place.  However, it stacks up all the text on top of each other in the upper corner.   I would love to convert all my .fw files over to AD but this font issue makes it a painful process.

Ryan.

I like Fireworks very much,And  Affinity Designer has many excellent features of Fireworks.Hope that the two complement each other

Why Affinity Designer support import Freehand ‘s files without supporting Fireworks's files?

Because Adobe hasn't told anyone how Fireworks PNG files are created, as far as I know there is no 3rd party applications that can support Fireworks Files. Even Photoshop converts the layers to it's own format, but photoshop can open them because that software is made by the same company.

hum actually made by macromedia  One would think all you had to do is decompile the program then see what it exports out to..nah they know.

Adobe acquired Macromedia in 2005 or so. About all that's left of Macromedia is in Dreamweaver.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Reverse engineering the file format is basically just creating empty files in Fireworks, looking at them in a hex editor, changing one single thing like canvas size, then comparing in the hex editor and looking at which point the value is written, then changing another thing, again comparing where something changes. Create a layer. See where the layer counter is stored. See which section of binary data gets repeated for every layer. Change opacity of one layer, check where in the repeating layer structure that value gets saved. Change the name. Is there a counter preceding the text in the file that says how many characters are in the layer name? Add a Path with one point. See what type of data gets added. Add another control point to said path. Now you can find the counter for the number of control points and you know how coordinates of control points are saved. Maybe the data that gets added for a vector object is similar to the raster layer structure you identified. Maybe not.

You can slowly map out the binary structure of the proprietary data piece by piece this way.

It's not a matter of somebody on the Serif team having the skill. Essentially, you can probably do it yourself. Start with the PNG file format specification, fire up Fireworks, then look at files in a hex editor and identify the proprietary Fireworks chunks and then use your hex editor and/or binary diff tool and start documenting your findings. It's not that hard, just really, really time consuming and thus probably not a very wise way to spend precious developer time.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a matter of somebody on the Serif team having the skill. Essentially, you can probably do it yourself. Start with the PNG file format specification, fire up Fireworks, then look at files in a hex editor and identify the proprietary Fireworks chunks and then use your hex editor and/or binary diff tool and start documenting your findings. It's not that hard, just really, really time consuming and thus probably not a very wise way to spend precious developer time.

I do not have access to Fireworks or any Adobe product so it is not something I would be able to do myself.

It's not that hard, just really, really time consuming […]

And probably illegal altogether. An independent, anonymous developer might have the ambition to do this but an official company probably wouldn’t want to get into trouble with Adobe.

• 1 month later...

For now, an option is to use the SVG export plugin for Fireworks. It produces a layered file per FW page. Few drawbacks:

* outline alignment is off (stroke inside vs stroke middle vs stroke outside) it seems to only put outside outlines, I guess that's because SVG only knows that

* curve bezier handles seem to be reset

* path caps are square instead of rounded

Basically, you can port some stuff and have layers and groups but anything in there needs to be hand-checked for the points listed above (and perhaps more, as this is a short analysis) :(

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.