You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problems with overexposed RAW files

Hello,

i think Affinity Photo Developer Part have a Problem with overexposed RAW files here Sony arw files.

Here a Screenshot after opening in Affinity Developer

post-41396-0-96188300-1479323394_thumb.jpg

In the lower part of the picture are a lot of black spot and these are permanent!

The same image in the ARC 9.1.1 looks without correction

post-41396-0-25436300-1479323590_thumb.jpg

There are no black spots in the lower area,
Image can be edited.

As an example here the result

post-41396-0-26486700-1479323799_thumb.jpg

Developed Picture from ACR

post-41396-0-69033700-1479323975_thumb.jpg

And Affinity without setting because of the black spots

post-41396-0-98183400-1479324176_thumb.jpg

Where is the error?

In any case, I like Affinity already times well, I as Photoshop users come with it fast and well, I'm sometimes curious what then in the end thereby arises.

I continue to try and if something catches me I post it.

Excuse me for my bad english

See you here, Pollux

Supplement

Screenshot with measured values

post-41396-0-21458100-1479489557_thumb.jpg

You may have to turn off DRO (Dynamic Range Optimizer) in the camera.

You can see the initial conversion on the right where DRO is turned on.

post-41030-0-71790200-1479351663_thumb.jpg

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Hallo,
ich schreibe mal in Deutsch und in Englisch sind ja einige Deutsche Foristen darunter, ja DRO ist aktiviert aber mit einer schwachen Einstellung, bei der Alpha DSLR 580 gibt es 5 Stufen bezeichnet mit Lv1-Lv5, eingestellt ist Lv2 schwach.
Klarstellung, die Aufnahme ist bewusst mit 1 Blende überbelichtet! DRO (Dynamic Range optimizer) kann eigentlich nicht das Problem sein, im ACR funktioniert es ja, ich denke eher die interne Verarbeitung der Rohdaten.

Danke für deinen Lösungsversuch, vieleicht ist das ARW format nicht vollständig implementiert, ich weiß es allerdings auch nicht.

Hello,

I am writing times in German and in English are some German forists under it, yes DRO is activated but with a weak attitude, with the Alpha DSLR 580 there are 5 levels designated with Lv1-Lv5, is set Lv2 weak.

Clarification, the recording is deliberately over-exposed with 1 aperture!

DRO (Dynamic Range optimizer) can not actually be the problem, In the ACR it works, I think rather the internal processing of the raw data.

Thanks for your solution, the ARW format is not fully implemented, but I do not know.

You may have to turn off DRO (Dynamic Range Optimizer) in the camera.

You can see the initial conversion on the right where DRO is turned on.

DRO setting has no influence on the RAW files, at least not in my sony camera's.

And it doesn't explain why the same file is yielding good results in other editors but not in Affinity.

@Pollux: Did you try messing with the black point, raising it?

Look at the histograms, look at what ACR produces with zero correction and look at what Affinity does. Affinity detects some kind of signal that is close to 100% black and wants to preserve it. Raising the black point till the histrograms are somewhat similar should get you a much better starting point, to then work with the highlights and shadows to correct the image.

HI Pollux

I have a felling this is due to the lack of us being able to read profiles from the camera like some other app can, so it might not be interpreting the DRO properly

Are you able to provide us with a sample image so we can take a further look into this? You can use this link to upload the file

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hello,

@jorismak,

That was exactly my thoughts, of course I have not recorded the values that now afterwards fetched!

@Howard Worf,

PlugIns do not test yet but thanks for your answer.

​@Chris_K,

Gib Text oder eine Webadresse ein oder lasse ein Dokument übersetzen.

Of course I send you the original RAW with OOC JPEG.
If necessary also others, but we are here.

... here again the picture I have set up.post-41396-0-34876800-1479490398_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Today I was able to edit the RAW in PhotoPlusX6 and how to look at the sample images no black nFlecken in the lower area ...

... here after opening the RAW in PhotoPlus X6 ...

post-41396-0-96165500-1479660365_thumb.jpg

... after the rough setting ...

post-41396-0-83911300-1479660374_thumb.jpg

... in PhotoPlusX6 ...

post-41396-0-95743000-1479660415_thumb.jpg

... developed image from PhotoPlusX6 without errors okay about the quality you can argue but it works.

post-41396-0-18942000-1479660434_thumb.jpg

You can see it goes, I think you will get the so that all users will be satisfied. For Afinity Devoloper I have a few other notes, but in another post.

Just for curiousity, do you mind sharing the raw file or is it not free-to-share?

Just to see what might be causing this or what I can do with it from within Affinity Photo..

Like I said, I never encountered an ARW file where the in-camera DRO setting had an effect on the raw data. When I use dcraw to output raw untouched unbayered pixels (to a monochrome 16bit file) the files look exactly the same with two shots back to back (one with DRO on heavy, on with it off).

I'm just thinking Affinity doesn't set the black levels correctly (or needs a bit of 'thresholding' on the lower blackpoints). When looking at the ACR histograms and the others, it seems to read the exact same data, only it places everything +/- 50% gray and upwards, so +/- 50% and downwards is 'bogus' causing the pure black flecks.

Hello,

@jorismak,

The data were sent to the Affinity team (Serif), Now you can see if the phenomenon is important. This recording is definitely an extreme situation but how does it affect normal pictures?

The picture is now in the right place and that should be enough.You can not change the black spots in AffinityPhoto.

Just as you suppose, with the wrong interpretation so is also my thought.

​@pdophoto,

A very informative video has nothing to do with the problem.
Thank you for your efforts!

Thank you both for your Posts

​@pdophoto,

A very informative video has nothing to do with the problem.

Thank you for your efforts!

Thank you both for your Posts

I thought that you should disable the tone curve in the assistant manager.

So, sorry for the inconveniences.

May the light be with you!

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new here in this forum. I also use a Sony A580 and have the same problem as Pollux. Is there any news about this problem?  I ask because it has been so quiet in this topic for a long time.

Best greetings from Duisburg

Hello Affinity-Photo-Team Wonderful!

post-41396-0-50960600-1481130035_thumb.jpg

With the version 1.50.0.45 RC2 the error is eliminated! Photo looks good now, of course, I make a Screnshot here purely so everyone can see it.

Thank you for your great work, so it looks like ;-)

@ Peter12,

Now we have a new alternative, it works.

Thanks for your good work, Pollux

Hello Photo-Team,

you have done a great job. Now the new version RC2 works fine with my ARW files.

Thanks a lot for all the great work and best greetings.

@Pollux, ja jetzt haben wir wirkliche eine gute Alternative

Peter12

• 2 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.