You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't see any way to tell if a layer is locked or unlocked. Shouldn't there be some indication on the layer or layer tab that a layer is locked or unlocked?

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

Now it shows up. I tried several times before and could not see anything. May it's just old age.  :D Thanks

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

Well, I went back and forth trying it several times. Nothing showed on the layer. After reviewing your input, I try again and it shows up. Go figure. It would be nice to have the "Lock" icon on the layer all the time as in other programs. It would be easier to use they having to go to the Layer menu and select lock or unlock.

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• Staff

It would mean always having to sacrifice the space - for something which you turn on relatively infrequently... We always used to do this in all our old applications, and it looked ugly and was extremely rarely used (in the scheme of things). The Lock/Unlock functionality certainly does need a keyboard modifier adding though... perhaps this will be enough after we've added it? :)

Matt, I don't know about looks, but it would be more standardized with what other programs do. That is one of the nice things about the Mac OSX: it standardization. What you can do in one program you can find and do in another program (that has the same ability).

When I looked for the lock in the layers, the first place I looked was at the layers tap. Just as, when I looked for the duplicate layer, I looked under the layer menu. These are standard in other programs, so naturally, that's where I look.

Thanks for the feed and all of your work.

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with GRScott. To conserve space and keep things tidy maybe there could be a "fly-out" per layer or a "fly-out" in the top of the panel that is sensitive to the selected layer that contains all of the toggles for each layer. - lock/unlock/hide/show/delete/duplicate...etc...  A click and hold sort of thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised the lack of lock button myself and thought it odd that I could not see one in the layers window. It also felt odd that I could remove it with one click of the padlock icon but then have to go through the menus to get it back again. I get that it looks nasty but it's a good tool when you want to move some objects and not others, like locking a side menu or background. 

Its pretty useful when you are layering lots of things on top of each other. It can get annoying when you try to select one layer and end up selecting another layer behind it or an effects layer in front. I usually avoid this annoyance by quickly locking and unlocking layers.

Here are some suggestions:

• Perhaps put it in the transform window
  • Add a toggle icon to the bottom or top of the layers window
  • Grey out the lock icon on each layer when not in use.
  • Add a shortcut key - CMD+L is already taken :P
  • Right clicking
  • Place the lock icon where the visible icon is and move the visible icon to the preview window. Clicking on the preview window shows or hides the layer - not sure about this one.

Thanks for considering :)

Hi

love having a play with this app - still getting used to it and seeing these thoughts on the layer locking, I thought I'd join in :)

this is definitely a frequently used function for me - in Illustrator I often use the multiple artboards, before with the artboards missing - I'd spill out of the artboard. This is now throwing me hugely - one of my favourite things in Illustrator is the ability to be messy - try out elements before adding them to the work. AD does not seem to support this?

This is the reason why I will be heavily relying on the ability to lock my layers… it was one of the first things I looked for and found odd, or at least a slow-down factor…

A keyboard shortcut would do - but I'd think that the icon, greyed out / coloured - would be ideal ;)
just my view :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I also use the layer lock quite frequently, please reconsider putting the icon back in the layer palette. Also the ability to swipe over a couple lock/unlock icons in the layer palette in order to lock/unlock multiple layers in one go is not possible without a lock icon.

@MattP: I have a knack for beautiful UIs myself, but I'd sacrifice operating speed, ease of use and UI standard over looks (nearly) any time. 

what about a swipe gesture like in iOS Mail which reveals all the layer options underneath the layer, saving space and providing instant access. Or on a pop-up menu with a right-click, but that's old school...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...