You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency tool in Affinity Photo

Gumir

I would be very happy if this Transparency tool would be introduced in Affinity Photo toolset, which is currently available in Affinity Designer allows work with Pixel layer partially changing its transparency.

With working with internal partial layers, which have been selected from base texture.

This will be a unique feature of this powerful software!

Thnx  :) 

Hi, Alfred!

This is my workflow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2AmcsWtOk

If you make this patch quickly (less than 3 minutes), with masks or other tools, I am ready to take back his opinion...

Source - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByDwQeFQVbovTHVxUjB6QVpFM2c/view?usp=sharing

Result on Google Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/YrLPoC4UNdK2

*I repeated work process on video today, special for you (there's a little bit not ideal)

You can use Vector Masks, but need to know that don't have to think in terms of "Black to White" as you would with Raster Masks but "Opaque to Transparent".

Try this:

• Create a vector rectangle in AP
  • fill it with the gradient tool form Black to any other colour, but at 100% of Opacity
  • Drag it to the side of your pixel layer

Now you have a Transparency Tool in AP...  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi paolo.limoncelli!

Create a vector rectangle........ fill it with the gradient tool.... Drag it to the side of your pixel layer..... - this is the quickest method  :D 

I talk - too much "hand movement" :)

See my workflow on YouTube

Your workflow cannot be done with Transparency Tool yet since:

• it cannot be applied multiple times so far
  • it cannot be applied to raster layers

Anyway I want to enter the challenge...  :)

Here the video

Done for the the first time today so you can see "pauses" (where my wheels are spinning... :P ) 

Maybe I did a mess... But it was only to suggest you a possible workflow alternative.

3:00 and few seconds I guess...

Need it faster?

Maybe someone much more skilled than me...  :)

Paolo Bravo!!! I take my hat off ... B)

however, I want to note... that your method shown me - much lower winnings for highly complex tasks.
Also, there is nothing wrong if this Transparency tool appear in the Affinity Photo's toolset.

This is an additional argument vs. Photoshop etc. for choosing a very nice product at a nice price...

*I first became interested in this product because - I panoramic photographer (there are a lot of interesting features for me)

It is a promising future for this product

I'm not in your industry/discipline so mine was only a tentative...  :)

I'm pretty sure we will see further improvements on the transparency tool.

I'd love to see for example "multiple instances" to the same layer/object and the possibility to apply it seamlessly to vector/raster

I'd love to see for example "multiple instances" to the same layer/object

Don't we have multiple instances now, Paolo?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched your video! :ph34r:

post-8358-0-15868700-1479322972_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Your workflow cannot be done with Transparency Tool yet since:

• it cannot be applied multiple times so far
  • it cannot be applied to raster layers

Anyway I want to enter the challenge...  :)

Here the video

Done for the the first time today so you can see "pauses" (where my wheels are spinning... :P ) 

Maybe I did a mess... But it was only to suggest you a possible workflow alternative.

3:00 and few seconds I guess...

Need it faster?

Maybe someone much more skilled than me...  :)

It's not true - you can do it easily a lot of times. Apply transparency> Group> Apply transparency > Group>.... 

Same trick works with multiply effects.

By the way gradient tool on bitmap works like tint tool and you can also adjust transparency.

It's not true - you can do it easily a lot of times. Apply transparency> Group> Apply transparency > Group>.... 

Same trick works with multiply effects.

By the way gradient tool on bitmap works like tint tool and you can also adjust transparency.

I know that workaround but I tend to deprecate it... Don't like massive nested groups, unless it is very needed.

The reason is well explained here, groups are logical entities such as layers.

Snapping calculations on logical entities are more demanding as explained by Ben, and I tend to use snapping a lot.

It is also true that maybe this is not the case where you would use snapping...

Anyway to mask raster layers I do prefer masks (vector or raster), but this is my habit and I consider it the best for my workflow...

Could be a solution for Gumir maybe? :huh:

The gradient tool on raster layers simply creates a gradient.

You're describing the behaviour with embedded documents (that can be obviously bitmaps too).

In this case no need to use the gradient tool since Transparency Tool works itself.

Don't we have multiple instances now, Paolo?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched your video! :ph34r:

I know that you can use multiple masks, but we were talking of the transparency tool, the one with the glass icon.

I mean multiple instances of that tool per layer, currently if I want to apply it multiple times (workflow requested by Gumir) I need the workaround described by Hummanoid.

I noticed bitmap layer masks with a gradients are destructive: create a layer mask and add a gradient with the gradient tool, and switch to a different layer. Then select the layer mask with the gradient again. Even with the gradient tool selected, the gradient widget is not displayed.

Is this a bug?

I noticed bitmap layer masks with a gradients are destructive: create a layer mask and add a gradient with the gradient tool, and switch to a different layer. Then select the layer mask with the gradient again. Even with the gradient tool selected, the gradient widget is not displayed.

Is this a bug?

It is by design I guess... It has been working this way since earliest builds of AD.

In order to make a vector mask gradient you need to create a rectangle, fill it with a gradient and use opacity of gradient stops instead of grey ramp.

Obviously move it to nest as mask, in this case the gradient widget will be there.

Eg:

- A vector rectangle as vector mask, filled with a black to white gradient will not work

- A vector rectangle as vector mask, filled with an opaque to transparent (100% of opacity) gradient will work

I know that you can use multiple masks, but we were talking of the transparency tool, the one with the glass icon.

I mean multiple instances of that tool per layer, currently if I want to apply it multiple times (workflow requested by Gumir) I need the workaround described by Hummanoid.

Ah, OK, but Gumir did say "with masks or other tools"! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

It is by design I guess... It has been working this way since earliest builds of AD.

In order to make a vector mask gradient you need to create a rectangle, fill it with a gradient and use opacity of gradient stops instead of grey ramp.

Obviously move it to nest as mask, in this case the gradient widget will be there.

That is too bad. I am used to non-destructive bitmap mask gradients.

I think I'm confused by the meaning of "non destructive" bitmap mask gradients   :huh:

Me too! :o

Alfred spacer.png

I know that you can use multiple masks, but we were talking of the transparency tool, the one with the glass icon - Exactly...

I mean multiple instances of that tool per layer, currently if I want to apply it multiple times - Absolutely right!!!

I think that the - the availability of such a tool, will only increase the status of Affinity Photo.