You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot deselect Freehand Selection Tool

Let's say I just created a selection using the Freehand Selection Tool - I cannot remove by just clicking once on the artboard whilst still having Freehand Selection Tool selected. I have to select a different selection tool, such as Rectangular Marquee Tool, after which clicking once on the artboard will remove the selection.

Another thing, say I want to a selection which is straight, but diagonally (at a 45 degree angle), how would I do that?

Thank you!

Deselecting a selection in Affinity Photo is Ctrl+D

Grenou

Thanks Grenou. It is weird that I can deselect a selection in all selection types but not in Free Hand.

Also, is it possible to point and click to create a selection, a bit like the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop?

Yep, with lasso tool selected, look at the top bar. Besides "Type". You have several modes, click on the one than shows a polygonal shape. 

Also, with the freehand one, if keeping shift, so you might work faster.

Beware that if have selected in that bar the selection mode as subtract or intersect, wont produce any selection marquee over areas without marquee selection already. And that ctrl h (if you set it up so to match PS shortcut in shortcut preferences) would hide/unhide the marching ants.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Another thing, say I want to a selection which is straight, but diagonally (at a 45 degree angle), how would I do that?

Thank you!

One thing that you can do is using for example  the node based, "vector" pen (below healing tool, and above the shapes tool in the vertical tool bar) , with this one you can shift click to make degree constraint lines. You can assign a key for fast access. Just you will need to (again, in top bar, many options) click on the top bar button "Selection" (or mask, depending on what you plan to do) once yo have your contour done with polygonal lines. I indeed do so a lot in PS and other tools, as allows me to custom tweak nodes before am fully happy with my soon to be selection.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Let's say I just created a selection using the Freehand Selection Tool - I cannot remove by just clicking once on the artboard whilst still having Freehand Selection Tool selected. I have to select a different selection tool, such as Rectangular Marquee Tool, after which clicking once on the artboard will remove the selection.

Dunno, seems double clicking _inside_ the selection does what you want.

Yep, with lasso tool selected, look at the top bar. Besides "Type". You have several modes, click on the one than shows a polygonal shape. 

Also, with the freehand one, if keeping shift, so you might work faster.

Beware that if have selected in that bar the selection mode as subtract or intersect, wont produce any selection marquee over areas without marquee selection already. And that ctrl h (if you set it up so to match PS shortcut in shortcut preferences) would hide/unhide the marching ants.

I did not notice that, thanks for pointing out the option for me. Just what I needed!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.