seabirdr

[Fixed] Incorrect line breaking in text containing English words and Han characters

Affinity Designer doesn't arrange text correctly which contains English words and Han characters.

The line-breaking after word Pattern is not expected.

post-40119-0-74603200-1479199457_thumb.png

Here is what I found through my observation:

post-40119-0-69100100-1479199478_thumb.png

windows 7 x64

Affinity Designer beta 1.5.0.36

Hope that you developers can pay more attention with this bug.

Hope that you developers can pay more attention with this bug.

What a nice way of saying that !

Please tell me that this has been translated by a machine....

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Hi Seabird,

Apologies that your thread has been overlooked! How are you typing the two languages - particularly switching between Chinese and English input? I presume this is when the space is introduced?

I've tried installing the Chinese (Simplified) IME input and clicking the Switch between the Chinese/English input doesn't add any additional spaces. Are you able to do a screen recording of the issue so we're able to replicate?

I don't think extra spaces are being introduced, Sean. It looks to me as though the problem is that wrapping is forced where there are spaces in the English text, instead of the Chinese text being allowed to run on until it hits the edge of the frame.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

What a nice way of saying that !

Please tell me that this has been translated by a machine....

Sorry!

My English is bad, please forget the way I said.

Apologize.

:D

Sorry!

My English is bad, please forget the way I said.

Apologize.

:D

No problem, my chinese is much worst.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Hi Seabird,

Apologies that your thread has been overlooked! How are you typing the two languages - particularly switching between Chinese and English input? I presume this is when the space is introduced?

I've tried installing the Chinese (Simplified) IME input and clicking the Switch between the Chinese/English input doesn't add any additional spaces. Are you able to do a screen recording of the issue so we're able to replicate?

hi Sean P.

Glad you notice this problem.

It's neither relevant to how the space is introduced nor the input method. The problem is AD incorrectlly breaks the line that contains Han character and English words. I found AD always break the line where there is a space.

Below I record two GIFs.

post-40119-0-21907700-1486473970_thumb.gif

First one. I pasted a line of text that contains Han characters and English words in Notepad of Windows. I narrow the window to show the way notepad arranges the text. Notepad works as expected. 

post-40119-0-73367800-1486473990_thumb.gif

Second one. I pasted the exactly same text into AD. Then I narrow the text frame as I do to Notepad. It turns out that the line incorrectly breaks after words GEAR and OCULUS (Because there are spaces after them), producing large blank areas.

Hope I've explained the problem.

With this problem, it's almost impossible to do layout/page design with Han Characters.