You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Pressure Support?

Are there any plans for Pen Pressure Support? If so, Then I'll be the first to jump on the purchase train when beta is complete..

I've been searching for a good Drawing/Design program for my Surface Pro 4 tablet..

If this feature is already present, just hidden in a menu/setting somewhere please point me in that direction. I've gone through all the settings and have not seen it.

Hi mB-PiBox

MEB's comment is suited for the brushes in the Draw persona of Designer

We do support pen pressure. In Photo and for the raster brushes in Designer, the pressure control is set per brush tip, so some brush tips may not be set up to react to pressure input by default but this can be modified. We do also include an overriding option that forces pressure to change size instead of any other option it is set to.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi mB-PiBox

MEB's comment is suited for the brushes in the Draw persona of Designer

We do support pen pressure. In Photo and for the raster brushes in Designer, the pressure control is set per brush tip, so some brush tips may not be set up to react to pressure input by default but this can be modified. We do also include an overriding option that forces pressure to change size instead of any other option it is set to.

I'm assuming you are referring to the "Size Jitter" setting for each brush. It appears in the Windows Beta, the setting for ALL brushes have the Size Jitter set to (by Default) "Pressure", however the slider is set to (by default) 0% which produces no Pressure response.

This is the same for ALL the Default Brushes. After increasing the slider to 100% I was able to get a "Pressure" response effect.

There is no "Global" option instead of having to go into each brush (default/added/created) to set the Size Jitter/Pressure setting?

Is there no 'pressure studio' setup in Affinity?

There doesn't seem to be any pressure sensitivity at all for opacity, although I have a limited range of sensitivity to size when set to default. I do have to press unacceptably hard to achieve any meaningful change though.

I am using an Intuos 440

Edited by Howard Worf

there's quite some controls for pressure sensitivity, is one of the things that go well in the brush painting system (others are going to be fixed)

1) With the brush icon tool selected, hit the bitg top bar button labeled "More".

2) Hit the tab "dynamics". IMO, put sliders all to the right to get most sensitivity (later on you'll modify per case) of size, accumulation (~ opacity, imho) , flow.

3) Set each of the settings to be affected by "Pressure".

4) Hit the tiny icon that shows a tiny graph with a diagonal. It opens a curve editor for pressure, for every setting -this is very advanced and uncommon-  to get very smooth subtle painting, which, actually! is more sensitivy than many expensive painting softwares, I recommend you to firstly go to your general Wacom tablet driver panel, in windows settings, Windows Settings from start menu, I mean, there you add A. Photo as an application to be customized for the wacom pen , and set the pressure for the tip to be the smoothest, if you need a very light touch.

Then, in this graph curve editors we were at, in that screen, do as well the following: Set the curves all "sinked", if that's a correct term, so that once you end, you will see the graph tiny thumbnail like you can see in my screenshot. With my Wacom Intuos XL it allows extremely subtle painting, way softer and sensitive than many big names 2D packages. 

post-31469-0-10098100-1479835773_thumb.jpg

post-31469-0-04901700-1479835469_thumb.jpg

post-31469-0-06920500-1479835911_thumb.jpg

When I do paint ala oil painting, I do set instead setting opacity/accumulation to 100%, and flow as 1 to 3%. Somehow, this allows me a more painting like behavior, so that paint strokes blend much better and build the painting more like... in actual traditional painting. While painting, usually a moderate to medium sensitivity to pressure in brush size. For inking, sketching, and similar, I go differently: 100% opacity and flow, high sensitivity to brush size. And sketching, very similar, just opacity quite low.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Same problem with Wacom intuos CTH-480 here. I already wrote about this.
This occurs in the Affinity Photo and Designer. I have tried solutions which SrPx suggested (thanks for helping :-) ) but with no luck.
I carefully read about new versions in the hope that it will be corrected and I'll can buy this great software.

Actually, is not completely strange that happens to you, and several other threads with similar models, and never happenning to mine. Besides the models are physically quite different (relatively modern medium and small, almost current Intuos (basic) generation, and my old Intuos Pro version 4 XL. After that one came version 5. After that, Simply the old graphire, later called bamboo in its several flavors, got just the name of "Intuos" , and the Pro line, simply "Intuos Pro". Those are several entire generations with hardware differences.), but also the drivers are not the same: I am forced to use a quite older driver, which might not be introducing some stuff that causes AP and AD not to get the pressure. Perhaps could be one of those reasons: hardware or driver related...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• 2 months later...

Same problem with Wacom Intuos 3 in Affinity Photo.

Only one document opened, setted all the pressure controls in the "more" tab, clicked on the icon of pressure, but there is no variation of the brush dimension.

I tried with many brushes, base, painting etc.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.