You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sky Replacement Tuorial

I am having a problem getting the Sky Replacement to work as shown.  Everything works as demonstrated until I get to the point when the narrator says, "click drag the mask and offer it to the sky layer as a child layer."  I am unable to achieve consistent results; occasionally I will succeed and and get the results like those shown on the screen, however most of the time I am unable to create the "child layer".  

What is the secret to reliably creating the child layer?

• Staff

Hi Big_Stan,

You have to drag the mask over the thumbnail of the sky later (and not over the area on the right). You should see a small vertical blue bar appearing on the right of the thumbnail while you drag the mask over it. Release the mouse button at that point and the mask will become "attached" to that layer only. You can then expand the layer clicking on the small arrow inside a circle on the left to access the mask.

• Staff

Hi Big-Stan.

Nice work :) This feature is working correctly/reliably. You have to pay attention to where you drop the layer. Dropping them over the thumbnail of a layer in the Layers panel will attach it to that layer (Layer Masking). If you drop over the right area of the layer (not over its thumbnail) the layer will be clipped instead (Layer Clipping). For more info/details about this please check the Layers Panel Drop Zones video tutorial.