You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rectangle Selection and Inpainting Brush

Affinity Photo Beta: I wanted to remove a sign post and man walking. I placed a rectangle around the sign post, no problem. I located the Inpainting brush and painted over the selection. The Inpainting began working but left a ghost of the sign. I repeated the Inpainting but first checked that Opacity was at 100%. The Inpainting began working but left a ghost again. I tried a third time but now the Inpainting copied an area adjacent to the sign and placed it in the rectangle.

I tried again with a different photo and got the same result. I changed the technique by using the Selection Brush tool and then the Inpainting brush. Identical result right down to ghosts and on the third attempt I got a copy of an adjacent area. post-39841-0-15659700-1479148215_thumb.jpgpost-39841-0-39753700-1479148212_thumb.jpg Please advise.

• Staff

Try In-painting smaller sections at a time. When you do the whole section in one go it will look for a section of your photo that matches the edges so keeps finding the offset larger area. Removing a large part of an image with the Inpainting brush will always take time and experimentation. As far as I know all Inpainting methods in other Apps will struggle with a single large section.

This is what I managed to do in about a minute.

post-4-0-75347300-1479208622_thumb.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.