You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Idea "Affinity Photo for PhotoPlus users"

Hi,

this is more of a idea that you could prepare a tutorial/video/similar. that presents the major differences and ideas that would make transition from PhotoPlus to Photo as smooth as possible.

This could be also made for other editing software (*cough* photoshop *cough*) to make such transitions easier.

Highlight should also include whats missing (of key features) or done in a different way.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to migrate to Photo from PhotoPlus.  There are 2 big problems.  First, I can't work on my old spp files, which means I can't completely migrate.  Second, Remask doesn't work with Affinity.  This is, by far the bigger of the two problems for me.  I have to use Remask as a stand alone, which is very awkward.   Luckily Serif sais they're working on it.  BTW, all my other Topaz plugins seem to be working with Affinity,

I'm trying to migrate to Photo from PhotoPlus.  There are 2 big problems.  First, I can't work on my old spp files, which means I can't completely migrate.  Second, Remask doesn't work with Affinity.  This is, by far the bigger of the two problems for me.  I have to use Remask as a stand alone, which is very awkward.   Luckily Serif sais they're working on it.  BTW, all my other Topoaz plugins seem to be working with Affinity,

Gary I--

I just got Affinity Photo (Windows) after using PhotoPlus for a couple of years. About a third of my photos are saved as .spp files, which aren't accessible in Affinity Photo. I stumbled upon this solution: open the .spp file in Photo Plus (if you have it), then Export as a .jpg (or other common) file. Can be saved in the same folder if you want (as it has a different file name extension it will not over-write the old file). I'm reluctant to delete the old .spp version yet. The new .jpg file seems to take up less storage space than the .spp which makes me wonder if there's a significant difference.

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, vegport. :)

I'm reluctant to delete the old .spp version yet. The new .jpg file seems to take up less storage space than the .spp which makes me wonder if there's a significant difference.

I believe the images in .spp files are stored internally in PNG format. Although PNGs are lossless (which JPEGs are not) the file size can be very much larger, especially for photographic images where there is a lot of colour variation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The .ssp files I store are still layered. I'll loose the layers if I export. I still have PhotoPlus, and will use it for those files. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. Thanks

Try to export as photoshop file (.psd).

Hope it works.

Paolo

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on *.spp files exported as *psd files (make sure in the export dialogue the include layers box is checked) they will open in AP with the layers preserved.  Have only tried a two layer file at the moment but all seems Ok. John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

I have been using PhotoPlus since it's beginning. I have been upgrading up to PhotoPlus8 witch I  thought was the greatest.  Now I'm faced with Affinity which is a tremendous challenge. I see many similarities to PhotoPlus8 but lots of the tools and methods are hidden or done in a different way. How do I find them? I can't look at all the tutorial to find a certain tool or methods. One of the tools I use a lot is the straitening tool and the inbrush. 

Maurice

I see many similarities to PhotoPlus8 but lots of the tools and methods are hidden or done in a different way.

I presume you mean PhotoPlus X8. PhotoPlus 8 (without the 'X') must be about fifteen years old now!

How do I find them? I can't look at all the tutorial to find a certain tool or methods.

The Help within the program is pretty good, but there are also many Mac users here who have had a couple of years to become very familiar with Affinity Photo and are therefore well placed to assist newcomers like you and me.

One of the tools I use a lot is the straitening tool and the inbrush.

PhotoPlus doesn't have an Inpainting Brush Tool. Does the above comment apply to Affinity Photo?

Alfred spacer.png

I presume you mean PhotoPlus X8. PhotoPlus 8 (without the 'X') must be about fifteen years old now!

The Help within the program is pretty good, but there are also many Mac users here who have had a couple of years to become very familiar with Affinity Photo and are therefore well placed to assist newcomers like you and me.

PhotoPlus doesn't have an Inpainting Brush Tool. Does the above comment apply to Affinity Photo?

True, but I've used the inpainting tool on another program. When I saw what Affinity could do, I thought this was something I wanted. But, there's more to using this inpainting tool than just painting over an object and getting rid of it. I haven't been able to use it. I found it but it doesn't work. Maybe I'm not using it right. I can't find the straitening tool.

I was talking about PhotoPlusX8.

True, but I've used the inpainting tool on another program. When I saw what Affinity could do, I thought this was something I wanted. But, there's more to using this inpainting tool than just painting over an object and getting rid of it. I haven't been able to use it. I found it but it doesn't work. Maybe I'm not using it right.

The Inpainting Brush Tool works at the pixel level, so you need to make sure that you've selected a pixel layer. Go to the Layers panel and check that the layer says '(Pixel)' after the layer name; if it says '(Image)', right-click it and choose the 'Rasterize...' option.

I can't find the straitening tool.

Choose the Crop Tool, press the 'Straighten' button on the Context toolbar and drag across the image in a direction that should be horizontal. When you release the mouse button, the image will be rotated.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly my sentiments. I have produced over 3000 pieces of art using the PhotoPlus series. I know the program! Suddenly it's been discontinued....  I see where Affinity has many similarities, but many things that I could get to in PhotoPlus without even thinking are now difficult for me to find. The main reason I never switched to PhotoShop is that I was worried about the tedious learning process. But now that I have to learn a new program from scratch I'm seriously thinking about abandoning Serif and switch over to Adobe. I'm now afraid to spend more years learning Affinity only to have them discontinue it at some time in the future.

HelmutLicht,

I am confused. Photoplus may have been 'retired' but you still have the licence, you can still use it and you now have no new updates to learn. Win-win-win...

AP is what Serif need as flagship revenue generator, truly a match for Photoshop at a bargain price.

I respectfully recommend you continue to enjoy Photo plus for many years to come as you have for many years past. Maximising the value of your initial license fee.

Otherwise you are in the same boat as everyone else in learning AP!

I have spent 8 weeks using it and I am as proficient now as I was in Photoshop. The video resources available are excellent.

AP is the single best thing to happen in the post-production market for years...

Whatever your decision, enjoy your art,

Cheers Paul

• 1 month later...

I found the straightening tool Affinity but it doesn't work as well as in PhotoPlusX8.

It produces the same result, doesn't it? When you say "it doesn't work as well", do you mean you don't find it as intuitive to use?

Alfred spacer.png

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Donna Coldiron,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The CommunityPlus is really the best place to get support regarding issues with old Serif's software line. Isn't the serial number on the disk/CD case or somewhere in the box contents as well (I don't know the Plus line that well so i may be wrong here)?. Meanwhile i´m passing this to someone that might help.

• Staff

Donna Coldiron, 

To say that you got no help for your post on community.serif.com is unfair, we advised you that you have lost your key and that we have no record of it. You were also advised to buy the latest version for £20 and given many reasons why that may be a good investment and run much better than the X4 on a modern PC. 

We are not able to find your product key that you misplaced, so I am not sure what more help you can expect. The product key would have been inside the box or a sticker on the back, not on a faded receipt. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Alfred said:

Yes, it is PlusX8. I don't use it anymore as I have completely migrated to Affinity. Affinity and I are getting along very well. There're  is still much to learn. One of the learning tools is the Affinity Photo work book which I recently purchased. It has given excellent description on the tools and how they work.  Affinity is a great photo studio with a deep learning curve. It has great potentials for the photographer artist or the ever day photographer who just likes to improve his photos.  Although, I never will master the full potentials of Affinity,  I'll know that It's there and I can advance to new heights of photography. The photo book as well as the great videos offered can propel me to these heights if choose to do so.   

Maurice

Edited by MTfrog