You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Save as vs. Export

I am a little surprised (perhaps by comparison with every other graphic program I have ever used) that the Save as function only seems to allow saving the image as an Affinity file (*.afphoto).

To save an image (even if loaded as a JPEG file) as a JPEG file, for example, one must use the Export dialog.

This of course makes a certain amount of sense, given that this process, for any given destination filetype, involves a certain specialized array of settings. And, in contrast, there is no need for any settings when saving as an Affinity file.

Its just "unexpected."

I also wonder whether the filetype extension "afphoto" is a good idea. Of course is its nicely self-explanatory. But often users have the columns in various file display windows set so that filetype extensions longer than, perhaps, four characters are truncated.

But perhaps this is just the playing out of the "long filename" paradigm.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

Having a separate export is a bit of a Serif tradition, and some other app have also included it along with save as. When it's fixed you can use save to save back to certain file types such as jog without having the re-export but only if the file type can understand the changes. As this is something that is also done on the Mac, I'm moving this to our feature requests section

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

To me, when a software does this is almost a safety check, as kind of reminds me I am not saving all features in a scene file. In applications that act like you say, I've often ended up saving by error a PNG or JPG, loosing so all layers. But...! I wouldn't know what's really more convenient, considering also all user targets here.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi, Chris,

Hi Doug

Having a separate export is a bit of a Serif tradition, and some other app have also included it along with save as. When it's fixed you can use save to save back to certain file types such as jog without having the re-export but only if the file type can understand the changes. As this is something that is also done on the Mac, I'm moving this to our feature requests section

Thanks.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Hi Doug

I've seen this asked a number of times and I want to weigh in (again...)

Affinity is TERRIFIC - GREAT JOB!!!  I so very much want to adopt this as my primary image-editing tool.  I've figured out how to do almost everything I need in terms of image editing.

For me, however, this is a serious flaw in an otherwise FANTASTIC piece of software.  The clumsy "export" procedure is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.  I work with lots of files & create a lot of derived files using "save as" in the *other* tool.  I've been trying to make the switch, but when I need to crank out some work I can't bring myself to open Affinity for this very reason.

I do understand that the intended workflow is to stay in Affinity format until the end, then export.  Unfortunately that simply does not fit the way I work.  Although this seems tangential to the *important* functionality of the tool, for me it's a big road-block.

Just to be clear, the behavior I'm hoping for (like many other applications) is this: Open a file in any supported format - "Save" does just that, saves the file in the original format, in the original folder; "Save As" saves the file in the original folder, with a choice of format.  A warning that the desired format does not support all the features of the working copy is fine, with a single-click "OK" to proceed.

I'm not sure from your response if there is an intent to change this - I do hope so.

Cheers,

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...