You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APwin „New from clipboard“ selection with strange behaviour

When I open a picture by „file open“, I can make a selection of a part of the picture, copy and paste this. Then I get a new layer with only this selection.

When I open a picture by „New from clipboard“, I can make a selection of a part of the picture, too. But when I copy and paste this selection, I get a new layer with the complete picture (and not only with the selection). I think, that is a small bug.

KoBu

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

• Staff

Hi KoBu,

That's because the layer you're copying the selection from (in the second case) is an (Image) layer type. You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name if there's one. Right-click on it in the Layers panel first and select Rasterise... from the contextual menu to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type. Then you can select and copy just the selected part to a new layer. Only Pixel layer's type lets you edit them at a pixel level. (Image) layer's type are considered objects and can only be transformed globally (scale, rotate, skew etc) but you cannot change their content (pixels).

Thank you Miguel for your quick response.

That simplifies working for me.

KoBu

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.