You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorials list for 2017 (I’m also taking suggestions)

Hello everybody! 

As some of you may have noticed I haven’t uploaded any tutorials recently to www.frankentoon.com and all I can say in my defense is that this quarter has been crazy… the Frankentoon project has opened great opportunities for freelance work and I’ve been working over dreadful deadlines the last couple of months.

The original goal of the website was not getting freelance work for me, but to offer simple, funny and easy-to-follow character design tutorials for Affinity users. And I really want to make more of those!

In order to keep moving towards that goal, I’ve been re-structuring the way I’m managing the site. I’ll be offering some digital products in my store, so hopefully, I won’t have to rely that much on freelance work and this way I’ll have more time for writing free tutorials… which takes me to our main subject…

Tutorials. This is a PARTIAL list of tutorials for 2017:

• Giving life to your pencil drawings with Designer
  • Creating a video game Hero
  • Creating a video game Villain/Boss
  • Saving time with Adjustment Layers
  • Comic-Style Inking with Designer
  • Background Design: A Magical Forest 
  • Background Design: The Castle of Darkness
  • Character Design: Pinup Girls
  • Sketching with Affinity Designer and Pixel Persona
  • Character Design: A Creature from Outer Space

All of them sound interesting for me, but what really matter is what do YOU think. Do you find these topics interesting enough? Whats missing? What would you add to that list? What do you want to learn? What makes you struggle the most about learning Affinity Designer ? 

I’m still fine-tuning the plan for the first quarter of 2017, so I’ll be taking suggestions until Dec 15th. Thank you all in advance!

Cheers!

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

I came across your site the other day and LOVE it!! I have just completed your pirate tutorial and it's absolutely brilliant, I was hoping you'd make some more! Personally,  I'd love to see some background tutorials and definitely some more character tutorials :)

Thanks a lot Joanna!

Glad you liked the website :) I'll try to cover both characters and background design tutorials in even doses, because one cannot live without the other.

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Personally, I would make broad categories and then add as things progress into each category. This will help people find the subject they want and then narrow the selection. Like the Hero & Villain tuts should (imho) be within the Character Design category. And then you could add a devoted to Video Game character design tutorial that address specific needs and requirements of Video gaming characters. One could take the Video char tutorial and then progress to the Hero, Villain, Pin-Up tuts and be able to use them independently of the Video Char tutorial. This way you won't be recreating the wheel (like your OP kinda indicated). Or you can refer to the VideoChar Design tut in the body of the various char design tuts. And as AD evolves, updating the tuts "should" be easier. 

Regardless of how you do this thing, I'm onboard. :)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Personally, I would make broad categories ...

Thats sounds pretty cool! I've already made some categories for the current tuts, but they work more like tags actually. It would be nice to have some kind of menu to access the main categories in order to make the navigation simpler. Love it! Thanks a lot CartoonMike :)

SORRY: POSTED IN ERROR.

I would love to see a tutorial on print ready business card. (including image handling) and output options.

Here is an idea what I mean https://youtu.be/1Ku9NXmr7NU

Thanks.

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to subscribe in your website by entering my email id.  But no action is coming up or no submit button.

I had the same problem months back. Use the email link on the Frankentoon web site and let Enrique know to add your email address manually.

contact@frankentoon.com

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Just an update on this topic: 

I'm still super behind schedule with this list, but I've finally found some spare time and I'm currently working on two tutorials for this month:

• Using Textures in Affinity Designer (part 2)
  • Sketching with Affinity Designer and Pixel Persona

I'll let you know when I got these published on the website :)

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this is still your intended flow, but I'm interested in...

• Saving time with Adjustment Layers (Hadn't even thought of this. Interested to see what you recommend.)
  • Comic-Style Inking with Designer (I already bought your ebook, but some videos would be helpful!)
  • Background Design: A Magical Forest (I'm scared of backgrounds for some reason)
  • Background Design: The Castle of Darkness
  • Sketching with Affinity Designer and Pixel Persona (So far I just sketch in a physical notebook and transfer to AD for vectorizing/inking/coloring.)

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video