You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Mode - Is working with Indexed Pallette not possible ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/12/2016 at 2:16 PM, TonyB said:

What is your use case that required editing in an indexed space?

I would like to propose adding an Indexed Color filter layer (with a loadable palette) as a new feature for AP/AD. There are many use-cases, such as fashion design as stated here, and for pixel art as I shall detail below:

Here, I am editing a sprite sheet for Cammy (trying to replicate this excellent PS tutorial by Kiwi using AP). Notice the color palette is a very specific 16 colors:

sprite-edit1.thumb.PNG.08a0388093ebb94f12fb9e80bfa523a2.PNG

During the processes of cleaning up sprite art, you may wish to smooth out gradients using brush tools, then reconvert back to the original palette of 16 colors.

Here you can see how smoothing the skin tones on her legs introduces new (unwanted) colors into the palette:

sprite-edit2.thumb.PNG.7939500e3b8b5b67b69b2f0050068bc6.PNG

Because AP lacks the ability to work with indexed colors, I need to export to GIMP:

sprite-edit3.thumb.PNG.11b02222280bbd5236d100160fade603.PNG

Convert to Indexed color, and load the 16 color custom palette:

sprite-edit4.5.png.9a6a1a4d9b1b20310e32bd29ff8e5152.png

To finally arrive at back at the nice, crisp original 16 colors for final export:

sprite-edit6.thumb.PNG.3085259e1879d2948a857b34c259d4d2.PNG

Ideally, what would be a killer feature in AP/AD is the ability to create a filter layer that maps colors to the closest colors within a definable set. Essentially a "dynamic" indexed color mode.

This would allow pixel artists great freedom to experiment and perfect their sprites, while keeping the flexibility of liquefy and blending brushes, and without breaking workflow to export to an intermediary program.

Thank you to the Affinity dev team for any consideration they may put into this feature.

15 hours ago, arcticfox said:

I would like to propose adding an Indexed Color filter layer (with a loadable palette) as a new feature for AP/AD.

You should do that in this forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

You should do that in this forum.

I am replying in-context to a moderator question, as well as expanding on @Fist of the mighty Bob's original suggestion. It should be left to the moderator's judgment how best to move the thread to the Suggestions section (eg. re-titling as necessary).

By allowing the devs to see the natural progression of question -> suggestion -> detailed use-case, it provides the team a better context for them to determine the best implementation.

In the days of the creation of the Elder Scrolls, when the indexed palette was the foundation of the world, presented by the Hierophant to the blessed few of the Tiles of Nümerica...

The ability to down sample colors was, in my experience, always very iffy. Maybe the algorithms are better now, but often enough, they used to really skew the colors, and having to step thru several options was not only tedious (closest hue match, closest luminance, favor warm tones, etc), but often futile. Better to just draw the pixels you wanted from a well designed palette. 

I wouldn't mind having the capability mentioned above. I still do use GIMP. But I think I've used GIMP for indexed color work maybe 2X in the last year. 'Self, would rather the development in AD go to the vector work w. blend and warp. AP, stroke brush along Vector/Selection path.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 hours ago, arcticfox said:

By allowing the devs to see the natural progression of question -> suggestion -> detailed use-case, it provides the team a better context for them to determine the best implementation.

That might be true if the developers see it, which is not guaranteed if you post here in Questions. This form is mostly monitored by other staff members who do not do any development, while the developers themselves monitor the feature requests forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7