You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Xara for DTP and website creation while waiting on AP.  Unfortunately they have no plans on a replacement for their WebPlus and you can't even purchase it legacy.  So I guess I will be using Xara for web publishing for some time to come.

I worked 7 years (till not long ago) as the dude for all in a software company that was very web portals focused. I maintained -and created- many portals at a time. Including basic concept creation sketch till doing the PSD with sectors, and even more often, without them, once I got really used to "visualize" things in a way...Then always made my code by hand, as no other auto-thing makes really healthy code. Or even the very few that does it, is never customizable enough for your team's code base and/or your existing style sheets, html snippets from the Ruby on Rails (or PHP, etc), etc... meaning with this, being AP so extremely similar to PS, and being the very essential workflows doable with probably every average 2D package on earth, this would not be by far a large worry... I'd care way more to keep the tools solid, bugs free (please, the brushes ;D ), having the essentials working.  But I believe I know what you mean : it can be faster a more automated, partial code generator from the design, if you don't have those usual team-work restrictions. As a matter of fact, PS's for that had a LOT left to be desired, not worth it to use it so (the direct to code export).. yet though, most web developing companies I worked at, had these code-only restriction/need . The code did tend to need to be hard coded, for a bazillion reasons, and clean, and standard to all team, cross platform, not software editor dependent. Ie, fireworks. In companies were there are Linux and Windows/Mac people, this would be crazy at certain levels/workflows types. And this happens often. 

I'd design my full template as a PSD, then crop by guides or sectors (for example). I even had my (cr4ppy) python scripts in place for certain repeating operations (plus Actions). No need anything else... We got once one guy who couldn't do anything without his loved wysiwyg tool, and the dude lasted veery little in the company, replaced fast by a CSS/javascript expert , much more useful for the team and me (i don't code JS, just integrate jQueries..  :S ), even while the other one would have meant finally not being overloaded with absolutely all the graphic stuff for the company. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 month later...

I understand everyone's frustration with the delay of Affinity Publisher.  Everyone here has good points.

I use Swift Publisher for now.  It works fine for my printing needs for now.

I think we should give the folks at Serif time to put together good software.  They have a lot on their plates.  Plus they are developing for multiple platforms, etc.

I also wanted to have Affinity Publisher to be ready by now, but I am willing to be patient and wait a little so that, when it is released, is better software than rushed bad software.

I think we can all come together and make this a stronger community with a little bit of patience.

Cheers!

I think we can all come together and make this a stronger community with a little bit of patience.

Cheers!

So I guess the amount of time people consider little differs greatly...

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Has the beta gotten useable in the meantime? The last time I tried it was nearly unusable

It's always been quite usable for my purposes. You should probably try it again, since your expectations and needs will be different from anyone else's.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well crashing on simple style changes wasn't something on my list of criteria for working :)

It's not the missing features, but the abysmal speed and all the crashes and bugs. If that has gotten better I should really try again.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity