You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I knew that. Why did I say that?  :huh:

In that case, it might be better to import the entire document rather than just copy the contents, but first make sure it's a compatible file type. Save the PagePlus document as a PDF file, and then open it in Designer.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

While waiting for Publisher I rebuilt one of my customer's Indesign files in Affinity Designer. I'd say it is almost pixel perfect, typography is fine, effects are fine, and I have something I couldn't even dream of in Indesign: a document grid that is rotated by 10 deg (because the whole layout is tilted by that amount).

There are just two problems: the size of the layout file, and the size of the exported PDF.

- The Indesign layout file is around 3 MB, but the Affinity Designer file is over 70 MB.

- The PDF that Indesign exports (for print @ 300 dpi) is around 4 MB; the PDF that AD generates is around 12 MB.

I guess AD doesn't link to but rather embeds external files. This is a real problem with larger layouts and many images. The file size of the exported PDF is less of a problem, but still inconvenient because transfer times (for feedback and production) are much longer.

So I am holding my breath for two things: 1) linking to external files in Designer and 2) a truly interchangeable file format between Designer and Publisher. Rebuilding layouts from scratch is OK, but not too many times ;)

While waiting for Publisher […]

So I am holding my breath for two things: 1) linking to external files in Designer and 2) a truly interchangeable file format between Designer and Publisher.

Do you think that linking to external files in Designer will become true before the launch of APu in 2017 or 2018 … and the interchangeable file format wasn’t promised?

Not easy to suggest a solution without a screenshot or the file: Have you tried all options to get a smaller PDF, Rocketdrive?

• 1 month later...

Please stop to give useless hope.

I asked in January 2015. Answer: beta end 2015.

I asked in January 2016. Answer: beta end 2016.

I ask in February 2017. Answer beta end 2017.

That sounds to me as much as NEVER.

Of course it was never a promise, and there were every time as much conditionnels as needed.

It still comes to the one point: don't count on it.

Please stop to give useless hope.

I asked in January 2015. Answer: beta end 2015.

I asked in January 2016. Answer: beta end 2016.

I ask in February 2017. Answer beta end 2017.

That sounds to me as much as NEVER.

It is unfair to those waiting patiently. I believe it was after the second postpone when the Affinity crew realized they can't estimate an exact time unless they are certain. If you look through previous topics, you'll see that the answer to the release of any new Affinity update is, "It will be ready when it is ready." It is simply because they don't want to continue to disappoint people with misguided information. The dates were pushed back because they don't want to release a faulty product when more needs to be addressed. It will be released eventually though. If you explore on the forum a lot, you'll see that they are very determined.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Making a 2D application like Photo to compete with today's top applications, achieving current standards and pro features is an amazingly daunting task that took decades to the competitors. Doing so with Designer, is another crazy load of work and complexity. To carry on top of all that as well the development or initial pieces of a third huge application, is IMO quite too much.  This is so for an average-big company. Even for a large one with lots of resources.  For an average-small company (even while formed by ninjas) is absolutely logical that no estimation can be done.  A lot of people don't know WHY is this  (for example, if sth goes wrong, ie, is discovered that something needs way more time, there's not so much room and margin for a quick solution) , tho they end up knowing once they get to work at one company in that situation. As well, they don't realize (or they'd be more careful/respectful) the actual very high value of what the company is achieving with the other 2 apps. IMO.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

My point was to express what impression some answers give

I can understand all the point SrPx and you give. But a roadmap would be better.

I asked in 2015, because I have a partner who doesn't what to follow adobe on it's new price models.

He asks: "are there alternatives".

I say: "yes, but... not very convincing. Perhaps we should wait, there is very promising coming up hopefully for 2016".

In between they decided to port the existing to windows and to upgrade it.

Its their responsibility, their choice and their risk.

In a matter of fact, I don't know anything about affinity, who supports them, how many they are, or what means the success of photo and designer, given away for a very fair price!!! give them to go on with there good were.

What I know: Affinity is making a great job in what is already available. Is it what makes me impatient about publisher?

To make it short again.

I'd like to still hope. But I just don't know if I will be able to wait much longer. 

And I think that's a reasonable point. That would frustrate anyone. It's your call of course, but seeing how Affinity changed their due date policy since the second postpone because of this very reason, it might be worth giving them one last chance. They are obviously sincere about their mistake. In any case, I hope your friend finds what he's looking for.

It is unfair to those waiting patiently.

It is not unfair that chvon7thal wrote his feelings. But Serif announced “Affinity Publisher coming soon” many times. Last time six days ago. It would be unfair to some purchasers of their apps if it would not come soon.

It is not unfair that chvon7thal wrote his feelings.

I know. That wasn't my message.

But Serif announced “Affinity Publisher coming soon” many times. Last time six days ago.

Well I can't keep track of all that goes on, so I really can't judge. For everyone's sake who is waiting, I hope the words are true.

Please, don't be so angry about this matter. If anybody want to see Publisher finished, it is Affinity team. You forgot they they live from this and they are under bigger pressure then you are. So, be patient, we will get Publisher just on time.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Seems they want to “finish” AD and AP for iOS first, not as previously stated APu!

Even if that were true, who cares? When one of us starts paying the bills at Serif we can call the shots.

Just use something else and revisit APub if and when it ever comes to beta/market. That is unless ya think all the cajoling will somehow persuade Serif to change course (rhetorical because it ain't gonna happen).

When I am in need of an application (during the years as a company worker, and now as a freelance) , if it is not available in the very day (in some cases, week) when I need it, I have no other chance than use an alternative path (my bosses used to not understand  even a five minutes delay, so...). I mean, you can use other alternative, and still consider getting back to Affinity for a great tool and very well priced once it is released. Nothing stops you from doing that !  There are some alternatives already (people here seems to not like Scribus's UI, (I agree in that it is spartan) but I think the application is quite good...) . And you should study each of them, to see which suits you. As, other than Adobe's, in my usual researches, what I tend to find is those alternatives aren't usually great for all, like CC stuff is (mostly) . But each one tends to excel in one niche. This you can find it if you google about it cleverly and in depth, a lot of opinions (forums, comments, Q & A sites, etc) and user experience will help you decide.

A roadmap, and that a team/company prediction is very doable in time, is sth likely to happen when resources are large, and you can put two or more teams on it if sth needs to accomplish a milestone (but lol, in other apps, and/or in  games, the delays are WAY more crazy, btw). You don't know their circumstances, neither do I (I read some basic details some time ago) . But we both know they have not the size and power of Adobe, by any stretch. Let's be a ton more coherent with that... ;). They are actually doing an heroic thing, given the time of releasing and what they have achieved, being their size.

So, from what I mention in the first paragraph, the complaint, IMO, is of not much use. As much you are going to put the developers in a negative emotion against it. That is far from inspiring and encouraging for people with a lot of work and pressure. Is the opposite way to go if you want to see one day a great Publishing application being produced by this company, IMHO. Plus, you can get Xara, Corel Draw, or Scribus, for your edition needs, IMO, choosing the right one for the tasks you are mostly going to do. (even that's not so, as it also depends on the level of of things you need in a niche)

Or you can keep some time more using the CC subscription, and once the app is ready, you buy it in that minute, and stop paying that...renting. That wouldn't be a bad thing to do, either. Financially speaking, probably a better road, as a full alternative package's price, might be more expensive, depending on a number of factors, depends on the cases.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Haven't the people at Serif told us many times that each app (as well as each platform version of each app) has its own dedicated team working on it?

I believe they have. And since that is the case, people need to stop complaining about how and/or why Designer and Photo have been ported to Windows and now making the move to iOS before Publisher has even been released. None of those things are affecting the work being done on Publisher in any way. Publisher has its own dedicated team that is working on it and it alone. The people porting Designer and Photo to Windows were their own team dedicated to that purpose, and no resources were detracted from Publisher's development to accomplish those tasks. In fact, I believe it has been said a few times already that the reasons Designer and Photo got their 1.5 update is BECAUSE of the work that is being done on Publisher. That is to say, the Publisher team is working tirelessly and making great advances, and the product managers are taking SOME of the MANY features they've already polished and are putting them into the others as they see fit.

Please, people, actually take the time to read the comments and responses the Serif team members are gracious enough to provide on these forum. They don't have to tell us anything at all, yet they have answered question after question. So before you get pissy about the progress on a specific app, take a moment to consider that point (and many others) and ask yourself, "Would I be getting from other companies what I'm getting from Serif? Do I really have the right to be a complete ass to these guys who are doing a spectacular job and have been honest, time and time again, about their past mistakes in scheduling?"

And for the love of all that is holy, stop assuming the worst about these guys and stop the constant complaining!

If Publisher is taking too long for your immediate needs, you have other options. PagePlus X9 is still available and great, you can always fall back on InDesign if you still have a subscription, or you can be a bit adventurous and take Scribus out for a test drive (it's free, so you have nothing to lose). Either way, regardless of what you choose to fill the gap, Publisher won't be done until it's done, so I suggest you all just suck it up and wait until it is!

Seriously, reading through some of these threads is like listening to toddlers whining about how their sandwiches were cut the wrong way. It's embarassing, really.

Seems they want to “finish” AD and AP for iOS first, not as previously stated APu!

So where have they said that? If they did (whoever "they" might be) I missed it.

It seems to me that the entire Affinity team has been remarkably open about sharing the company's development plans, the challenges they face, & what they hope to accomplish in the months & years ahead; much more so than any other commercial software company I know of. Beating them up for that seems foolish -- what can it possibly accomplish besides motivating them to become less willing to do that?

How would that benefit anybody?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think this topic is beginning to get out of hand. There is no need to accuse Affinity for lying. They misestimated. It was already made very clear that people are upset about the long delay, but the obvious tension will not make it come sooner.

Seriously. There would never be an intention of "lying". They would be the first ones interested in having it now ready to purchase, don't you think ? :o   But crap happens in every development project, unpredictable things, then all have to be delayed and there's nothing physically possible to do about it.  Again.. please get to work -or talk to some close friend who worked at one-  at a company making software, you would become aware on the way it works and needs to do so, and would understand a ton of things... The company is also really permissive. In any other company's forums a thread like this would have been closed long ago, even in the first posts.... I have watched it happening so in almost every company's forum I've visited. (indeed, happens in many other type of forums, even those moderated but not owned by companies. )

It seem's I produced a shit storm, i'd woudn't have anticipated.

I hope one can induce from it

- that we care

- that some are ready to fight for it

- because we do think Affinity would be a real alternative to inDesign

- that we all hope it will be as soon as possible

- that, in time of digital transparancy there needs to be more communication than "comming soon, or next year, or what ever" 

- t'ill APu is here, its for each of us to find the right answer. Some will come back, other not. It's the only thing Affinity can be sure off.

And to all: have a good day. Were I am it begins with a warming willkomming sun.

Beating them up for that

No “beats”, just facts like:

APu: “hopefully sometime next year” was a big surprise and means not earlier than in 2018 “unfinished” without needed features like a multiline compositor.

iAP and iAD: “Affinity Photo and Designer for iPad […] coming in 2017.”

“After completing the full suite on the Mac […] we will look into other platforms.”

How would that benefit anybody?

Corporate image is important! If they (Serif) don’t change (communication) errors (on their webpage, …), they will not gain in credibility. One example: Although the error has been reported, they still announce to bring Affinity Photo to Windows.

Oval, "hopefully" is not a guarantee or promise of anything. As for "image" they have been very forthright in explaining why the delays have been occurring & continue to keep us informed about that. What other commercial software developer does that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7