You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can't install photo on my computer

Hi Affinity,

i'm running into a funny problem here, i simply can't install photo on my machine (windows 10 64bits up to date) and the message is funny, it says (in French) that another install is running and i have to wait for it to finish before running this one

of course, no other installation was running and this happens be the .exe on my C drive or another (i've read the other topics before openning this one :) )

i'm wondering if this has something to do with windows port already being occupied (same as if you try to launch wamp when skype is already running, both were running during these tries)

i would be glad to find out a solution as i've been waiting for this moment for quite a long time :)

thanks in advance for any insight

chris

• Staff

Hi Chris, 

I think this can sometimes happen if Windows is installing something in "quiet" mode, i.e. with no UI. 

Have you tried rebooting? If you have and the problem persists, try looking for the Windows Installer process in Task Manager. If you click the > next to the process, you should see which installer is blocking the Designer one. 

it could be too that the installer was accidentally triggered twice ? (some sensitive mices can take sometimes a slight pressure as a  click)  it would show a repeated instance in task manager, in processes tab. Just kill both process, and run installer again. Is not uncommon in Windows apps installers.  If it is that you can even try it without rebooting. (ctrl alt supr (only once) to get to the menu where you can launch task manager, or better, just go to start menu, hit "Run..."  and type "taskmgr"  . I suppose this has not changed in Windows 10. Even in the start menu Search field will bring you instantly to that with taskmgr  word.)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Also unable to install, but no activity on Status progress bar.  Windows 10, 64-bit, 110GB disk free, 10GB RAM, Tried initially as normal user, giving admin install permission.  Then switched to admin user, with same result, although I imagined more initial disc activity.  In both cases, no progress bar activity and after giving it about 1/2 hour Windows reported installer was not responding.

Uh....strange...I had no issues... Well, other than I had to trigger AERO desktop being it a requirement, as I have it always in old classic (my old machine is faster, so (tested)). 

I don't know... crazy ideas... Is there a way Windows Firewall, or some commercial firewall, or antivirus software could be blocking the installer? Those things heuristics are every day more insane and random....

Did you actually trigger taskmgr (task manager) to see if when that happens, are there two instances, two processes of the installer ?

The other crazy thing is that the installation might install a service or something, and bad uninstall -which crashed somehow- might have left some service leftover -so, yep, I'd check services.msc as well, and if I'd see the culprit, maybe set it temporarily disabled-   but I doubt these applications make anything like this. Yet tho, I've seen installers, specially third party ones, make really crazy things....

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi,

first, thanks a lot for your answers

@JonW actually, tried again this morning, same problem, i've had a look at the task manager and the only install process running was affinity (funny enough, seen as a 32bits install)

maybe this is due to the last update of windows 10...

@SrPx thanks for the funny answer :) i must confess i'm a web developper and let's say, if i had clicked twice i would have had to close... two installers :)

coming to the strange issues you're talking about, you're right they may happen but honestly, the install didn't even start, the message comes straight after the desktop icon checkbox...

thanks anyway for trying to help, i guess i'll have to wait a little to try this soft i'm eager to play wit,h (being a web dev... and a photographer :))

have a nice day all of you !

It may be a corrupted installer? Dunno if the downloads have a md5 or sha-1 checksum near them, it will be a good check.

They should have checksums, but I can't see any on the site. My installer file for Affinity Photo on Windows beta build 1.5.0.35 has checksums as follows:

MD5:   464853B2EDF7B8DFC3431D62C70B9E3F

SHA-1: 53DD239129F959355B38CA3EDCEAC330A3432C45

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

if i had clicked twice i would have had to close... two installers 

Not necessarily, Windows has this lovely "feature" that from time to time is non capable of closing a process... ;)  (there are tools that will stop whatever, brute force, though)

the install didn't even start,

Unless happened in a "silent", ninja way... :D

Me, web developer too... man of many hats... to fill the plate of food, more than actual passion... One other crazy-funny idea, if you are extremely bored, right click and "run as administrator"...dunno,  don't trust too much Windows 10 over protection....Would perhaps try that, too...

Yet though, install already running, is the message it always gives when the same installer, or an installer of the same installers company (ie, installshield, etc) was never able to be stopped, and maybe is being launched at init in your boot. If so, it will never allow you till you deactivate it from the process list that loads when your windows boots. (msconfig to the rescue)

I dunno, am too rebel to let my Windows decide what it wants to load and what not... ;)

It may be a corrupted installer? Dunno if the downloads have a md5 or sha-1 checksum near them, it will be a good check.

^this. I do the cheap way of just checking the file size, and download again... It could be just what he says...   Edit: Didn't see the latest post...

^this. I do the cheap way of just checking the file size, and download again... It could be just what he says...   Edit: Didn't see the latest post...

The other way to check is to right-click the downloaded file in an Explorer window and choose 'Properties', and then look for a Digital Signatures tab. If there isn't one, then you definitely need a fresh download!

If you find the Digital Signatures tab, click on an entry in the signature list (where it says 'Serif (Europe) Ltd') and then press the 'Details' button and wait until the Digital Signature Details dialog pops up. If it tells you that the digital signature is OK, then there is no point in downloading again.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi all,

thanks again for all those heping tries :)

the installer has its two, md5 end sha2 checksum but well, this doesn't seem to be enough for it to work...

@SrPx like you, i try as much as i can not to let windows decide for me but, sometimes i've got to be a little humble and admit it's stronger than i am, damn it :D

the fact is, things always seem to start well, space calculating, install language and so on, until the real things start and then, always that same strange message "another install is running"... running it as an administrator or not (windows 10 seems a bit less, well, say, annoying that what i recall from the vista period :))))

have a great day/evening

The Vista period... how much harm did that one... Windows 7 and 8.1 are a tad better. :) And am not on the wagon everybody jumps in about trashing win 10, am sure is good and just you need to configure it right. Ok, am out of ideas.. (about your installing issue).

The Vista period... how much harm did that one... Windows 7 and 8.1 are a tad better. :)

I liked Windows 7: it was really just Vista with everything that should have been included in the first place, but without the bloat. I found Windows 8.1 to be OK, too, but that was probably only because I had Start Menu X to overcome the usability problems imposed by Microsoft's stupid decision to remove the Start menu.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...

If anybody like me with the same problem finds this later, this was the fix for me (variant of the proposed direction above):

• Open the task manager before installing and kill any windows installer processes;
  • Start the installation and scroll to the windows installer process in the task manager so you know which one it is (there should be one);
  • Follow the install prompts and stop at the one which asks for the install directory;
  • In the task manager you'll see another windows installer process started, kill it;
  • Proceed installation;
  • Profit!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.