You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys - I'm really keen to start painting in Affinity Photo. I have bought Astropad to use it with my iPad and downloaded loads of abr. format brushes. I was surprised, though, at the lack of information/content online for use of AP for digital painting/sketching etc. I wondered if anyone could direct me to any tutorials or resources that you've come across that might help me get started and learn more.

Many thanks

Chris

Hey guys - I'm really keen to start painting in Affinity Photo. I have bought Astropad to use it with my iPad and downloaded loads of abr. format brushes. I was surprised, though, at the lack of information/content online for use of AP for digital painting/sketching etc. I wondered if anyone could direct me to any tutorials or resources that you've come across that might help me get started and learn more.

Many thanks

Chris

Affinity has put up a number of videos at the following link...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-in-house-affinity-photo-video-tutorials/

Scroll down to category #8 and see if any of those might help you get started.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Thank you - I have seen these.  They are useful but not really aimed at painting specifically - I would like to know things like how to set up perspective grids and if it is possible to draw lines that snap to the perspective lines - for example.  Are there any resources aimed at this use case specifically?

Thank you

Thank you - I have seen these.  They are useful but not really aimed at painting specifically - I would like to know things like how to set up perspective grids and if it is possible to draw lines that snap to the perspective lines - for example.  Are there any resources aimed at this use case specifically?

Thank you

Ahhh, that's different and usually found more under drawing apps than painting apps. I've seen a set of good iso house plan tuts for Affinity Designer (AD) and tons of them for Illustrator under the category of pixel graphics. (Yes, I know pixel graphics is a different isometric grid than perspective but similar issues.)  AD has a good set of Isometric grids and my new beta for Windows AP has the same set. If you're new, you need to go to View>Grid Mgr> and Unclick "Use Automatic Grid" to see the Iso grids. None of them say "Perspective" so I'm not sure if they have vanishing points or not. Otherwise, you may need to go to Evato-Tuts+ for Photoshop painting tutorials and convert/apply them to AP.

https://design.tutsplus.com/categories/adobe-photoshop

There are some posts in various places in this forum that discuss whether to try snapping to an iso grid or try skewing an object to be iso. That again usually refers to vector objects and text more than painting/brushing. Your purpose may have you trapped between raster and vector so that you have to search creatively to find solutions. 3D can sometimes provide you with iso/perspective solutions.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Thank you

If you're planning on drawing as you described above, Designer seems like a more viable software.

But sadly, the Affinity range lacks any useful perspective tool.