You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

While you work in programs like Affinity Designer, you are working with objects (circles, shapes, etc) which have properties such as fill and outline. It's a bit like working with cut-out paper shapes that you can move around (and cut bits off, glue more bits on, etc). Often this is the best time to make significant design choices like colour.

Even in paint programs you can work with different layers for outlines and fills, which makes it a lot easier to change colours at this stage rather than after saving it as a png file (if you have outlines on a separate layer, you can easily change the colours on that outine layer without affecting other layers).

However, when you save as a png file (from any program) it becomes a single flat image (no layers, no objects) like taking a photograph of your final project. 

So in the png file there are no outlines, no fills, no layers, just a single image with different areas of colour.

This is the same with many image formats, although there are some formats (e.g. psd) which will retain the layers and maybe some other features - mostly these are internal program-specific formats to continue working on a project, not for public distribution. 

How you make changes might also be affected by the details in your image and what type of changes you wish to make.

For example, in Affinity Designer in the Pixel persona (or in Affinity Photo with the Photo persona) you could use the Flood Fill (bucket) tool to fill existing areas with a single colour. This is a crude way of replacing colours, but it might be enough for some type of images (especially images without antialiasing).

In Affinity Photo in particular, there are more sophisticated ways of selecting areas and changing colours, some more time-consuming than others.

You would be using the same techniques as photographic manipulation to change, for example, the colour of a coat somebody is wearing. You might, for example, add a new layer with an optional appropriate blending mode (to preserve texture and/or shading), and paint the replacement colour on the new layer.

Or with a simple effect you can turn the whole image into a sepia version like an old photograph, as an example of a global colour change.

In Affinity Designer you could create an object that has the same shape as one of your fill areaa, and use the shape's fill, with various blending modes, to change the colour of your fill area (like laying a piece of cellophane over a photograph), or use a whole layer to re-tint your image (for example, to give it a dark blue night lighting effect).

Unfortunately your example png file did not attach, and image manipulation is not my speciality, so I am unable to make more specific comments. Others with a better grasp of image manipulation might be able to give you better advice, particularly if you could upload your image somewhere and give details on what changes you would like to make.

Hi! I have a problem with png image editing. When I open png file (not made exactly in Affinity!) i cannot simply edit it, such as change color of stroke or fill. Could you help me please?

I attached example of png file.

Unfortunately your example png file did not attach, and image manipulation is not my speciality, so I am unable to make more specific comments. Others with a better grasp of image manipulation might be able to give you better advice, particularly if you could upload your image somewhere and give details on what changes you would like to make.

After you browse to the file that you want to attach, you have to press the 'Attach This File' button. It's very easy to forget that crucial step!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Olesia,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I believe you are trying to edit a Fireworks PNG file. Affinity Designer (and other software other than Fireworks) doesn't support layered Fireworks PNG files. Fireworks saves out additional layer data to PNG files such as objects attributes etc in a proprietary format/data that was never made public. As such those PNG' s can only be interpreted/used as flattened images by third party apps, like Affinity Designer.

If you still have access to Fireworks you may try to export the file as a PSD and import it into Affinity. It should may keep some elements editable (as well as layers structure).

• 3 weeks later...