You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Darker pics in Affinity Photo Beta on Windows

Hi all, 

Just started with Affinity in Windows.

I wonder why all pictures (JPG) I open in Affinity look a lot darker compared the original 'lighter' look in the other programmes I use. Strangely enough they all have that darker 'look', after opening them in Affinity.... When I adjust the lighting settings, and do some other changes ...  after exporting to JPG they all look a lot darker again on other programs.... It looks like the standard white balancing is off, or so... am I missing some key info here.

Could someonehelp me out on this?

Greetings, a new user,

Sense

Hi NemesisSensei

I'm open the same jpg in a number of apps and it appears the same across all of them, including Affinity Photo. This may be an issue with a colour profile embedded that we are not reading or wrongly assinging. Are you able to attach one of the jpg you are having the issue with so we can investigate further as well as perhaps some screenshots of what you are seeing and what you expect to see?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

As you can see from the fill context in the Colour panel, your white is actually yellow. This will be caused by a bad ICC profile in your Windows Colour Management options. If you change your colour profile to be sRGB, it will open correctly. The reason it appears normal in Photo Gallery is that it does no colour correction.

I don't have that issue... Are you sure you have the right settings in the Edit menu / preferences/color profiles ?

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

As far as I can tell, my color profile is set to sRGB but I still have the cream-colored white. Everything else on both monitors is bright white but the artboard and content in Affinity is cream-colored... Help.

Your Windows Colour Management? Can you just confirm your settings look like the following please:

post-15-0-59882100-1479994875_thumb.png

Hello,

I played with AP with B/W picture and noticed there is yellowish in the white area.  I exported it to JPG and found that it's a lot whiter than AP.  I found this post and checked my windows colour management and AP preferences RGB colour profile and they are all set up correctly.  I am not sure what happened here and what should I do next?  I hope you can help me with this.

I attached a link to flickr picture you can see my full window of AP with B/W picture on the left, AP yellowish BW picture in the middle.  Windows colour management on the top right and AP preferences below it.

https://flic.kr/p/PGj4He

Thanks Stu

Thanks for the screenshot Stu. What happens when you make a new blank document? Does the blank document have a white background, or is it yellow? If the blank document is white, then it's not a screen colour profile problem, and instead might be a problem with a colour profile in the image.

Last night I did made a new blank and it did come out a little yellowish.  But now AP seem resolved itself with yellowish issue.  I tested it again with new blank doc and BW picture and it all looks right now.  What happened?!  Maybe a proper shutdown and reboot computer did the trick.

White blank document & exported JPG

https://flic.kr/p/PuoTbG

Tested again with B/W picture

https://flic.kr/p/PH8NrM

I have a color problem with AP, too. It is not so extrem, but visible (see attached file: left AP, right IrfanView). The colors in Irfanview and other programms (like CorelPhotoPaint) are identical and more powerful. But the color in AP deviate slightly. It is not much, but noticeable.

When I edit the image in APwin and export it, the exported picture is again more powerful. But this is not good, because I have altered the picture as I saw it in APwin. Then I don’t want a change in the colors.

I don’t think that a change in the Windows Colour Management would help, because then the colors in AP would alter too and the difference remains the same.

What can I do? In my opinion, the colors in AP are more genuine.

post-32342-0-61082400-1480428978_thumb.jpg

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

I don’t think that a change in the Windows Colour Management would help, because then the colors in AP would alter too and the difference remains the same.

Are you completely sure you are not having Adobe RGB as a main color profile by default in AP ? Usually all other apps -except Photoshop or the like- would use sRGB instead, which has a more limited gamma. Yet though, it tends to be the case that Adobe RGB allows more intense and saturated tones in blue and green, for example. 

I would try setting in preferences/color profiles both sRGB and Adobe RGB 1998, try then opening the image with each set as default. And see what happens with each.

I don't know if that requires a full restart of the application with each change.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thank you all.

As Mark said: my problem was caused by a bad ICC profile in my Windows Colour Management options.

I altered it to sRGB... and now all seems to be correct (identical colors in AP and other programms).

excuse my bad English

Nice  :)

Hi wernich,

try the following setting in windows (see attached file). Good luck.

post-32342-0-99568300-1480680582_thumb.jpg

excuse my bad English

Hello Wernich,

Replace your monitor ICC profile with this setting sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as KoBu posted.

You will need to go to Colour Management and ticked 'Use my settings for this device' then remove your monitor ICC profile and add sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1dwM_ureg

This solved my B/W adjustment layer yellowish problem.

Hope this helps you.  Good luck!

Stu

Hi Wernich,

is your monitor a wide gamut ?

Your color settings in Windows are not correct. In the box "Viewing conditions profile", you have to use "Profil WCS pour les conditions d'affichage ICC" (sorry, my OS is in French) like you can see here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Flaurentiaart.com%2FWP3%2F2011%2F04%2Flagestiondescouleursetlesdifferentswindows%2F (this is a rought Google traduction from French).

You should never put a color space in monitor profile! A color space can not reproduce the characteristics of color reproduction of your screen!

• 3 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.