You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cr2 RAW files and .xmp files

Hoping to ditch photoshop. Glad the beta can take my raw files from my Canon 7d mark II. While using photoshop whenever I open a raw file in camera raw and make alterations it saves a small .xmp file which saves the alterations I made to the original raw file. That way I can some back and tweek my already made changes to my raw file.

But when opening a raw file in the Ap beta no alternate file like the .xmp is created when I hit develop.

Am I missing something

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I also need that DNG files are saved with the Develop Persona modifications like it is done in Camera Raw before development in the Photo Persona.

REMARK: For DNG files Camera Raw integrates those data in the DNG file.

This is a must for me, I can't use this program on my photos if this is not a feature.

May the light be with you!

Pierre

Why? Just curious.

Len

Hi Len,

To answer your question, I have +/-12000 photos in my bank of photos and 80% of these are DNGs with their setting incorporated including their metadata.

I don't want to re-do the development and re-add the metadata every time I process a photo.

I also don't want to operate with two standard and two workflow

Pierre

Hello,

Everyone has a different workaround, Photoshop users (ACR) love this.

After an update of the RAW Converter, the improvements can already be clear, you open an old picture, you will be informed in the RAW converter which you can convert into these, with the settings you had made.

Pdophoto has his workaround and I really find it also good,
I sometimes leave old pictures like that.

Hi,

I do not have many options, I use Pentax cameras which have 2 options for RAW files: PEF or DNG. I have chosen DNG so I don't have sidecar files.

So if I want to keep my originals and their adjustments, I need to save the file after treatment in the Develop Persona.

Many Photoshop users (ACR) need to convert their Raw files to DNG not to have a sidecar file.

One way or another, it is a matter of taste.

Pierre

Many Photoshop users (ACR) need to convert their Raw files to DNG not to have a sidecar file.

Not to have sidecar files was not the reason, why I converted my Olympus 5050 and 5060 -which I use under water-, from RAW to DNG. If I could I would have done different.

As long someone don't use certain software (eg. Exiftool) to extract metadata to a sidecar file, metadata for DNG (TIF/JPEG/PSD) always are stored/embedded within the file by PS/ACR. Whereas for ACR some can choose if metadata is stored in a sidecar or within a database.

It can be an advantage to have sidecars (eg. RAW): you change the develope settings in ACR and only the sidecar file is touched. By this backup software will only recognize the sidecar file as changed and backup the sidecar only instead the whole RAW. Not possible with DNG.

regards,

Ablichter

Hi Len,

To answer your question, I have +/-12000 photos in my bank of photos and 80% of these are DNGs with their setting incorporated including their metadata.

I don't want to re-do the development and re-add the metadata every time I process a photo.

I also don't want to operate with two standard and two workflow

Ah, I see. I also noticed from your later post you're a Pentax user. Me too! Still shooting with a K10D (and saving to DNG).

I personally prefer to save sidecar files rather than write to the DNG (faster saving of changes, as Ablichter pointed out, is one reason). The main rationale though is that I use DxO Optics Pro for raw development, and it writes out its own sidecar files with raw development settings, in DxO's proprietary format. There's no easy way to embed that in a DNG, so sidecars are the only option.

My DAM tool takes care of syncing other metadata with the DNG (i.e. XMP, EXIF, IPTC) when I choose to do so, but not raw development settings. It also takes care of managing my raw files with their sidecars as "units".

Be aware that the raw development data that Adobe Camera Raw writes to your DNGs is written as embedded XMP data, in a namespace specific to Camera Raw, not surprisingly called the "Camera Raw Namespace". What this means is that the raw development data is proprietary to Adobe, and is completely specific to Adobe products (Camera RAW, Photoshop, and possibly Lightroom). It has no meaning to other raw processing software, because every raw processing software applies its own unique algorithms, settings, etc. The data are not transposable between softwares.

Consequently, for Affinity Photo (or any other raw processing software, like DxO Optics Pro, AfterShot Pro, Capture 1, etc) to write its raw development settings to your DNGs, the Adobe Camera Raw namespace is useless, and the developers would need to define their own custom XMP namespace to hold values that make sense to their software. I can't imagine it would be worth their while to do so. There is no "universal" way to describe raw development settings, as their is no "universal" raw processing software. Thank heavens, or we'd all be stuck with a choice of 1 raw workflow. :o

Your workflow of requiring to store raw development data in your DNGs limits you to using Camera Raw for raw development, I'm afraid.

Len

Len

--------------------

Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

• 4 years later...
On 11/24/2016 at 12:49 AM, lenmerkel said:

It has no meaning to other raw processing software, because every raw processing software applies its own unique algorithms, settings, etc. The data are not transposable between softwares.

I can go with it, but when you open a CR2 File with an XMP-File attached Affinity Photo should be able to read the XMP-File. It is a simple text File and sorry but

crs:Temperature="5650"

for example is the same as the Affinity Temperature set to 5650.

We "simply" need a Reader that reads those values and apply it to the CR2 File. You can even Save this as

afcr:Temperature="5650"

to a new File called afcr

This should be the easiest way. Sure some Fields can´t be copied from the XMP-File but the "basics" can be. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.