You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lightroom -> Affinity Photo workflow / integration

Hello Affinity team,

it is great to finally being able to test Photo in Windows, thank you so much for providing an alternative to Photoshop!

I have a question regarding the integration of Photo in my Lightroom workflow: I have added Photo as an external editor in Lightroom, and selected ProPhoto 16-bit TIFF as the file format. The picture opens up in Photo, but as soon as I want to save my picture (even if I did not make any changes), I can save it only as file type .afphoto. This is true no matter if I select Save or Save As. The same is true if I select PSD instead of TIFF as the file format. This means that currently I am unable to make any changes in Photo that would be recognized by Lightroom.

I cannot imagine that Photo would not even me to save changes using the same file format the picture was opened in?

Thank you very much in advance for the clarification on the file format for saving pictures. I would also appreciate some hints on how to best integrate Photo with Lightroom.

Robert

Robert Reiser

robertreiser.photography

I have a question regarding the integration of Photo in my Lightroom workflow: I have added Photo as an external editor in Lightroom, and selected ProPhoto 16-bit TIFF as the file format. The picture opens up in Photo, but as soon as I want to save my picture (even if I did not make any changes), I can save it only as file type .afphoto. This is true no matter if I select Save or Save As. The same is true if I select PSD instead of TIFF as the file format. This means that currently I am unable to make any changes in Photo that would be recognized by Lightroom.

Same problem when roundtripping from Capture One

You need to export ( File > Export ) back into the file format you want to use.

would the host application recognize the image? seems pretty dodgy since Capture One really wants an image to be flattened and saved as 'save' (in photoshop)

Unfortunately I can't tell about Capture One since I don't have it, but when you export into TIFF/jpg/png/gif it will (by default) flatten the image. Also, remember to choose correct output pixel format/preset  of output image.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

You need to export ( File > Export ) back into the file format you want to use.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out: I don't want to save my changes in a different format, I would like to *keep* the format of my export. Any other software I am currently using allows me to save changes in the current file format (as long as it is supported and not read-only) when you click "Save". Just with Photo this is different: I export a TIFF, open it in Photo, and Photo would not allow me to save the changes to the original file. Instead, I am asked to save my changes as ".afphoto".

Imagine you open a .docx in Word and Word would not allow you to save the changes unless you choose ".pdf" (or something else) as file format. Wouldn't that be weird?

My request would be that the "Save" functionality does what the user expects: to save the currently open file in the current format. This would immediately solve all the issues, no matter if Lightroom, Capture One, or others.

Robert Reiser

robertreiser.photography

• Staff

Hi Vicks,

This is works as you'd expect/describe in the Mac version (hitting save to send the file back to the original program for those with edit in external editor functionality) so i believe it will also work similarly on Windows.

I'm checking this with the dev team to clarify what's going on. This may be simply not finished yet in this Beta version for Windows.

Hello Affinity team,

it is great to finally being able to test Photo in Windows, thank you so much for providing an alternative to Photoshop!

I cannot imagine that Photo would not even me to save changes using the same file format the picture was opened in?

Thank you very much in advance for the clarification on the file format for saving pictures. I would also appreciate some hints on how to best integrate Photo with Lightroom.

Robert

Having pretty much the same issue with Lr. Have to Export from AP and Import back into Lr. Works, but a round about way of doing things. 

As Mark Ingram says, bug to be fixed in next release. Looking to have file "Saved" in the same format that it came into AP as. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.