You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW data not correct

• Staff

Hi fjb, regarding the pixel resolution, Photo's raw engine interpolates edge pixels rather than cropping them off, as most in-camera hardware converters and software tends to do. Thus you end up with a slightly larger pixel resolution.

Not sure I understand the sRGB/RGB issue - the Develop persona works in 32-bit unbounded and then converts to the given colour profile when you develop, which by default is sRGB. It's still in an RGB colour format.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

When I open a NIKON NEF raw picture in Affinity photo the color space and the dimensions are wrong.

Affinity shows sRGB instead of RGB / 3900x2613px instead of 3872x2592px /

see attached screenshots

Since RAW have no color space (even when you can assign one in Nikon cameras) the color space you see is the color space assigned by Affinity, see your settings.

The dimensions are the RAW dimensions as in the EXIF data, see SubIFD1. The dimensions you know and await are the dimensions for the embedded JPG.

post-41044-0-54436000-1478853691_thumb.png

regards,

Ablichter

Hi,

Ok for the raw size. But, there is a problem with the 32bitsRGB Colour Space. At the loading of an image, the custom setting in the preferences is ignored and the default sRG is apply. Furthermore, the custom setting of this colorspace disappear after relaunch.

post-6043-0-03746400-1478857781_thumb.jpg

Or explained a bit differently,

that sRGB you see is what _you want it to be_ when you're done editing the RAW file and make it into a real photo with pixels. If you want it to be something else, pick something else :).

As stated above, raw files don't have a color-space yet, it is 'undefined'. The job of a raw-converter is to take that data and map it to real color, and while doing so choose in what profile you want that color to be.

Affinity just defaults to sRGB but you can pick Adobe RGB or ProPhoto or whatever you want.

About the size: As you may know or not know, an image sensor (in your Nikon at least) is working in _groups_ of pixels. The Bayer filter.

Now, at the sides of your image, you have pixels that are only half a group, or less. So what is a raw-converter to do with those edge-cases where it does't have a full group of pixels available to make up color? Most camera's and raw-converters crop those edge cases, but Affinity (and dcraw and some others) choose to 'make something up' at the edges to not throw away the few pixels at the side.

As example, my Sony DSLR gives files of 6000x4000 with in camera jpg, and also when using raw-converters like DxO and CameraRaw. But the resolution is actually 6008x4024 or something like that. So most converters crop 24 pixels at the sides and 8 at the top + bottom to get 6000x4000. Others don't. Perfectly normal.

That is not quite right. A raw image is not indefinite, it is delimited by the capacities of the sensor. And this sensor must be profiled. This is precisely what is missing here in the management of colors: the profile of camera! The choice made in the "Profile" box is more that of the color workspace. But the camera profile that characterizes the apn is cruelly missing.
Moreover, with regard to the default application of the sRGB, the preferences are precisely there for that.

In a good color management, one must distinguish three things: the camera profile, the color workspace and the output profile.

That is not quite right. A raw image is not indefinite, it is delimited by the capacities of the sensor. And this sensor must be profiled. This is precisely what is missing here in the management of colors: the profile of camera! The choice made in the "Profile" box is more that of the color workspace. But the camera profile that characterizes the apn is cruelly missing.

Moreover, with regard to the default application of the sRGB, the preferences are precisely there for that.

In a good color management, one must distinguish three things: the camera profile, the color workspace and the output profile.

I wasn't saying it's indefinite.. at least didn't mean to :).

I stand by my point that raw files are 'colorprofile-less', and it's up for interpretation what yo get out of it. This is the difference between al the the RAW profiles, and _if_ they support files made by your camera.

Of course you just can't make any random colorprofile from a RAW file -> if your sensor doesn't capture it, you can't really. But the interface-thing I highlighted is the place where you choose _into what_ profile the Affinity RAW converter converts your raw file. Basically, the profile you want the file to be in when you're working. If that's your working profile or your intented output profile or not, is up to the user. Color-profile is another can of worms in itself :).

But open your raw file, and while still in the develop persona go the bottom in the right develop-panel and you'll see 'output profile'. Then when you hit the develop button in the top-left, you'll go to the photo persona with pixels in the profile you selected. How to go from there, you should know as a user which works with colorspaces :).

If the included camera-profiles used for raw developing are correct or even present for your camera, I don't know of course.

Agree that the NEF images look flat in Develop. Is there a way to get the camera profiles?

Better yet, how can we import the the camera curves and image white-balance setting?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

The camera profiles should be there and working already. If it's looking wrong to you, request the feature or report it as a bug I guess.

What do you mean with 'import the camera curves' and 'image white-balance settings' !?

Which curves?? Import from what?

If you just open your raw file you get the white balance as shot, like in any other raw converter. What do you mean with 'white-balance settings' ??.

• 11 months later...

(thread bump)

I agree with Laurentia - Affinity, even now, seems to be missing CAMERA PROFILES, unless Affinity has an internal database of profiles which isn't mentioned in the documentation?  The so-called "raw" files, if they are to be accurately interpreted, still have to have some form of profile.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.