You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

slow load time for Nikon RAW image

We've identified an issue causing the load time to be slower than desired. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon.

Thanks, Mark. It probably does not matter but since it was mentioned that CPU and number of cores is relevant my Dell workstation has an Intel Xeon E5530 CPU operating at 2.4 GHz with 8 cores.

Pete

Yes I have an i7, 16gb ram, fast graphics card, ssd, etc ...................a 26mb cr2 takes 26seconds to load and 54seconds to save, that's very slow in comparison to lightroom and on1......................... I'm also getting top bar pull down saying not responding after accessing tool bar following pic load, but all seems to be working ok

Glad you had found the culprit :lol: Other than loading raw slowly, I've witnessed on some random times the app will "think" some seconds before refreshing window. Dunno if the cause is the same, will replay my test workflow after raw loading is fixed, to see  how it goes ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here, although it does not only apply to processing RAW files. I'm using Photo 1.5.0.45 (retail, not beta)

EDIT2:

Solved by holding Ctrl when starting Affinity Photo and clearing everything! https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30794-develop-persona-most-operations-are-very-slow/?p=149535

Also, setting RAW output format to 32-bit boosted performance as well. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30794-develop-persona-most-operations-are-very-slow/?p=152602

Perhaps there were some settings from the the beta that were littering around? In any case, I'm happy. :)

If I create a new document and use the brush tool, regardless of how I draw, nothing shows up while drawing and upon release of the mouse button, it produces a straight line between the start end ending point. However, if I hold the mouse button and wait for 5-10 seconds, the brush appears and I can draw smoothly. But upon release, the application sort of "waits" for a few seconds before becoming responsive.

I've tried GPU & WARP. I'll do some more testing without anything else running.

My specs:

Win 10, 3,3GHz i5 2500K , 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 970.

EDIT:

I've done some further testing, using the "SpaceDock" document. (Although the symptoms are the same with a new file.)

The foremost observation is that 

* Photo.exe idles at 0%

* when I left-click, using the Paint Brush Tool, without any cursor movement CPU still goes up to 25% for approx. 3-10 seconds. Mostly 3 seconds. During this time, it doesn't _look_ like the brush tool is doing anything. If I keep my eye on the History pane, it doesn't list Paint Brush Tool until after the lag.

* if I let go of the left mouse button during this time, the brush tool will draw a straight line between where I pressed the mouse button and where I unpressed it, regardless of movement (distance and/or speed)

* if I keep holding the button, Photo.exe CPU usage will drop to 0% after 3-10 seconds and I can draw as expected. If I move the brush around like crazy, I can push CPU usage just above 50%, but the brush moves flawlessly all the time.

* upon release, the same 3 second lag appears again.

Affinity Photo only allocates about 450MB of private memory (working set ~560MB) although Photo is set (by default) to use up to 16GB. Even with my browser and and other background services (dropbox etc) my system still has 77% of RAM unused. I would have expected Photo to use more, but perhaps it doesn't need to?

The Resource Monitor does not show any swapping occurring.

Win10 + AD + AP on SSD     3,3-4,1GHz i5 2500K     16GB RAM     Nvidia GTX 970

I love AP (I bought it immediately - having used many of the old 'PLUS' products)  and the team at SERIF are awesome....

BUT, as I said 4 weeks or so ago Load Times and Startup HAVE to be Photoshop comparable. That gives me no comfort whatsoever.

I am gutted seeing so many buyers saying they will get a refund - and others who probably do not post on these forums - they just get a refund silently.

A costly error of judgment, that marketing and Dev should have managed as a priority during pre-release Beta... So pisses me off as I have recommended AP to dozens of my Photo-Club associates..

I just hope the AP product architecture chosen supports a significant improvement on Start-up and Load times.

Cheers, Paul - A very happy (ex-Photoshop) AP customer.

To be fair Paul, many (most?) users won't have bought AP for its Raw conversion capabilities, but as the next stage in their workflow, downstream of conversion by their favourite converter.

I know that I'm not "everyone" but I have a pretty standard workflow, and no real expectation that AP will replace my converters of choice (Photo Ninja, Capture One Pro) any time soon; but it does wonderful things with tiffs generated by Photo Ninja - and just as quickly and reliably as does PhotoShop CC on my machine. 

I also don't know everyone: but no photographer I know uses ACR as their converter - so the idea of AP being "in trouble" because it's not currently quite as efficient as an ACR/PhotoShop workflow is unlikely to wash with them.

It's a big ask to expect AP to take over from long-standing established players in the conversion space, given the arcane "witchcraft" of Raw demosaicing algorithms, and even if it was faster than it is now, it'll have to deliver the IQ results that the others provide too, and that's likely to be the big challenge...

Keith Reeder

Apologies, Keith, my original statement re start up and load times made weeks ago was for AP start up from scratch and jpg load times. I appreciate your point on Raw (which was the OP).

My disappointment stems from the fact those original issues appear end at all in the customer release and were not addressed at initial design and implementation.

Cheers P

Im finding a Canon cr2 from a 5Ds (so its some 50Mb) takes vell over 10sec to load. This is the sort of time I find for tiff I have saved as well. DXO OP11 is opening the same ones  in very mush less time so I hope this can be shortend a lot

Gotcha, Paul - thanks for the clarification.

John, it takes about ten seconds to open my 7D Mk II files too - and about 8 seconds to convert to a tiff for post processing: but that's still faster than Optics Pro 10 (which I don't use any more, but is a useful reference point for "slow"), and we put up with the sluggishness of Optics Pro for years.

But yeah, AP needs to be faster: Capture One opens and saves a file in a tiny fraction of the time we're talking about here, to use it as a reference point for "quick".

Keith Reeder

• 1 month later...

When I watched your demos it was lightning fast. Reality ... the speed is not acceptable in any way. This makes me feel I was still working on a Quadra 700 20 years ago. 

The RAW files I am processing is of just a Fuji XT2.

I am running on an iMac 27", 3.4 Core i7, 32 GB RAM with an upgraded SSD drive.

Can I have a refund. Just bought this 2 days back.

TQ.

• Staff

Hey gwmchin,

We do know about this and it is being worked on however this of course doesn't help you at the moment. You should be able to process the refund through the Apple Store where you purchased the app from. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

• Staff

When I watched your demos it was lightning fast. Reality ... the speed is not acceptable in any way. This makes me feel I was still working on a Quadra 700 20 years ago. 

The RAW files I am processing is of just a Fuji XT2.

I am running on an iMac 27", 3.4 Core i7, 32 GB RAM with an upgraded SSD drive.

Can I have a refund. Just bought this 2 days back.

TQ.

Did you try setting Affinity to use Apple Raw Engine? You can change the preference in Assistant Manager->Develop Assistant...

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

RAW file loading speed and other RAW improvements will be available in the forthcoming 1.6 point release and are checkable now in the current customer beta #85 and above.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.