You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Finally! ( first praise and minor issues)

So far I am VERY impressed. 
2 things I noticed right away though:
1.) Is there really no pressure driven brush opacity (wacom pen)?
2.) the psd layers imported from photoshop that don't work correctly are gradient map layers. they are mostly just bright. I mean very bright, like a layer of white fog 1f642.png:)

Other than that, beautiful interface - great flow, frequency separation is a killer. 
Can it be that gradient maps created in Affinity seem to yield in smoother higher quality than in PS, or am I under the influence of a first excitement dopamine intoxication?

If I had a wish, I would desperately ask for a luminosity mask creation

Hi Julian_K, and welcome to the forum!

Can't help for point 2, but for point 1 there is a pressure on/off button above the main work area, which by default is off.

AP-pressure.png

From the in-program help (via the Help menu, and start typing in luminosity in the search box at the top of the help window):

To create a luminosity mask:

1. On the Layers panel, click on the layer's thumbnail with the Shift and Ctrl keys pressed.
  2. From the Layers panel, click Mask Layer

Actually, that one icon controls brush size depending on pen pressure. The key is that big button saying "MORE" at the left. Clicking it, you have advanced brush settings: spacing (i set it to 1% or so), etc in a first tab, and in the tab called "dynamic" you have there both settings using pressure:  size, opacity , and even flow, brush hardness... quite some flexibility. 

That icon you mention takes priority over whatever you did set hitting the button MORE. Indeed, not sure if that applies to other brush settings. I have more control disabling that icon and fine tuning all after hitting that MORE button and configure things powerfully.

You can even customize how much of that effect is applied and how, through a curve with several nodes. To adjust even better the brush setting behavior. (hardness, opacity, flow, etc)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Maybe this is blowing my own horn, but luminosity selections/masks can be done via macros:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27214-luminosity-masks/

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Actually, that one icon controls brush size depending on pen pressure. The key is that big button saying "MORE" at the left. Clicking it, you have advanced brush settings: spacing (i set it to 1% or so), etc in a first tab, and in the tab called "dynamic" you have there both settings using pressure:  size, opacity , and even flow, brush hardness... quite some flexibility. 

Oops, quite right! Thank you for the correction.

Oops, quite right! Thank you for the correction.

You are welcome !    :)    ;)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

That icon you mention takes priority over whatever you did set hitting the button MORE. Indeed, not sure if that applies to other brush settings. I have more control disabling that icon and fine tuning all after hitting that MORE button and configure things powerfully.

You can even customize how much of that effect is applied and how, through a curve with several nodes. To adjust even better the brush setting behavior. (hardness, opacity, flow, etc)

Thanks a lot for the help.

I did discover the advanced tab and yes, there are lost of options that can be assigned to pressure, but I can't seem to find 'opacity'(see panel screenshot below)

Are you referring to Accumulation? That somehow does achieve a similar result, but is still not quite the same as simply having the generak opacity of the brush driven by pressure.

post-41002-0-79265000-1478970822_thumb.jpg

post-41002-0-79265000-1478970822_thumb.jpg

Yep, I was referring to accumulation... Kind of makes the deal, but yep, seems is not the same.

Hi Julian_K

In regard to the gradient map, we seem to lose the position of the gradient points when it is imported. I've passed this on to the development team

Yep, that seems to be exactly what happens.

Thank you very much for the fast response and my regards to what seems to be a brilliant development team :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.