You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are the RAW develop settings stored ?

Hi,

I made a few changes to a RAW image and wanted to save my develop settings. But it seems that the only thing that I can do in the Develop Persona after making my changes is to click on Develop. Then I have looked for a way to create a sidecar file containing my settings, like in ACR, LR or DOP. No way.

I tried to save the image in the afphoto format, thinking it was the extension for AP sidecar files : I got a huge 400 MB file. Gasp !

Please tell me what I'm missing. I can't believe that the RAW development settings are not stored anywhere.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• Staff

Hi Samoreen,

Affinity Photo doesn't use sidecar files to store RAW development settings. Currently you can only export presets from a few of the panels in Develop Persona.

I believe non-destructive RAW development is planned for later in a future version but i still have to confirm this.

Hi Samoreen,

Affinity Photo doesn't use sidecar files to store RAW development settings. Currently you can only export presets from a few of the panels in Develop Persona.

I believe non-destructive RAW development is planned for later in a future version but i still have to confirm this.

Hi!

It is correct that *.afphoto files are so big when it come from RAW format (more than 250MB in my case)?

Slawek

Hi,

For those who are considering to use Affinity as their usual demosaicing software, there's obviously a need to change the current approach. During my tests, I made only a few changes to the loaded RAW images and I got files as big as 400 MB from a 20 MB RAW file. This is just unmanageable. In order to allow a successful roundtrip between the Photo and the Develop Personas, sidecar files (or a settings database as in LR) are unavoidable.

People shoot RAW images to benefit from the multiple advantages of the RAW approach : non destructive development, multiple versions from a single RAW, and even much more... Having the RAW engine and the retouching module in the same software is a plus only if the development settings can be managed correctly (like between Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW/Lightroom). Otherwise, Affinity is doomed to be used as an external retouching editor for a real RAW engine (DxO Optics Pro, Lightroom, Capture One,...) - provided the current quirks when trying to setup a workable round-trip between these programs and Affinity are fixed (see https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28020-the-lightroom-ap-roundtrip-doesnt-work-as-expected/?hl=roundtrip) -.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

People shoot RAW images to benefit from the multiple advantages of the RAW approach : non destructive development, multiple versions from a single RAW, and even much more...

I think it also had advantages to embed all Raw Data (as in Photoshop alternative approach, with smart objects).

Yeah, file size increases, but one has everything in one place, the RAW image(s), as well as the final composition

with all other graphic elements. One still can go back and further edit the RAW file.

File size considerations do not play a role in all use cases – I personally don't care if a complex file has half a GB

in size – for as long as it opens quickly (which clearly is the case in PS). I think that the destructive nature of Affinity

Photo's RAW workspace is its biggest limitation. Whether one uses sidecar files or uses any other route – it's crucial

to go on editing where one has left, with all sliders still in the position they had, before switching to another Persona.

I do care about the file size. The Affinity native files made after just RAW processing are HUGE! My PS CS5 files can be large, but that is with many layers, blending, etc.

I opened a RAW file in PS CS5 and did some minor adjustments in ACR. The resultant PSD was under 60 MB.

I opened the same RAW file in Affinity, did some minor adjustments. and the resultant file was over 400 MB.

I like affinity so far and it appears to be a valid PS replacement for me. The file size is a consideration. Hopefully, adding layers doe not scale the file size proportionately.

I do care about the file size. The Affinity native files made after just RAW processing are HUGE! My PS CS5 files can be large, but that is with many layers, blending, etc.

I opened a RAW file in PS CS5 and did some minor adjustments in ACR. The resultant PSD was under 60 MB.

Photoshop gives you various options to work with preprocessed RAWs. In case you choose to embed the whole Raw into the psd

as a Smart Object (which I find is the most powerful option) the file size will immediately jump to about 10 times the size of the RAW file.

In the sample image I only dragged the contrast slider somewhat and brought the 16bit result to PS. 22MB vs 208MB...

post-605-0-15074500-1479049077_thumb.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.