You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trim transparent areas in image

Hi,

I'm just getting familiar with the new beta, and it looks amazing so far!

One question: If I have an image (see attached) with an area of transparency around the part I wish to keep, how do I remove all the transparent areas? (You know, like the Trim command in Photoshop.)

I know I can do it during Export, but how can I do it within the program so I can continue working on the image?

Thanks!

post-38658-0-40096900-1478816123_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi ThePixelWhisperer.

If the transparent area is not part of any layer/image (like a transparent PNG for example) you can go to menu Document ▸ Clip Canvas to get rid of the extra space.

Currently Affinity Photo doesn't have an equivalent functionality to the Trim command in Photoshop.

Hi ThePixelWhisperer.

If the transparent area is not part of any layer/image (like a transparent PNG for example) you can go to menu Document ▸ Clip Canvas to get rid of the extra space.

Currently Affinity Photo doesn't have an equivalent functionality to the Trim command in Photoshop.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried it and it worked well. Except for if the background layer was intact. I had to get rid of the background layer first. Grrrr...I guess I could make a macro for that.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Big Deluxe,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you attach your afdesign/afphoto file here so i can try to export it a see what's going on? There's shouldn't be any black lines on any side of the exported image if you remove the background.

Here's how to attach an image (max 20 Mb) just in case.

Thanks for the reply.   I have attached a screenshot of the png as it appears on the webpage and the afp file it was exported and converted from.

This is an image that I removed the "not so white" background from. In Affinity the subject edges look fine but when it is posted to a page they are not clean at all. I cannot find a tutorial that shows the best process to clean up the boundaries or which tool to refine with.

post-35745-0-00958600-1486755853_thumb.png

LeafItTransparentMainPersona.afphoto

• Staff

Hi Big Deluxe,

Thanks for the file. The mask and PNG export seem to be working correctly, but there's some issue going on. I will log this to be looked at.

Are you embedding the .aphoto document or simply placing the exported PNG into another affinity document?

Note: there's a small missing area on the top left of the mask that you may want to check

Placing the exported PNG into Amazon listing page. Background is transparent as intended but the two boundaries have black borders. Also the image has dirty edges once posted. This is not visible in Affinity.

If i start with the original image again can you suggest a better process to remove background without losing image edge quality. Export can be either transparent or pure white.

Thanks for the reply.   I have attached a screenshot of the png as it appears on the webpage and the afp file it was exported and converted from.

This is an image that I removed the "not so white" background from. In Affinity the subject edges look fine but when it is posted to a page they are not clean at all. I cannot find a tutorial that shows the best process to clean up the boundaries or which tool to refine with.

I do not understand where is the actual problem; I enclose my updated file with just a pixel layer.

LeafItTransparentMainPersona-2.afphoto

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.