You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for creating Web pages?

Hi,

Sorry if this is listed somewhere or in a thread I should of seen but I am interested in creating actual html and css based web pages and not graphical interfaces for mobile apps or software. Can Affinity Designer do this?   I see from the intro video that there is mention of using it for web design but what exactly is that referring to?     Html & CSS?

I like the look of the product and also the Photo version as well but I need a tool to replace several Adobe Creative Cloud applications and wondering if this is the right one for me or not?

I have windows 10 Pro 64 bit on an older desktop computer as well as a basic Dell laptop that also has Windows 10 64 bit on it, is there a installation license that allows for multiple computers or just one?   

If this is wrong place to ask this please move it to the right place in the forums.

Thanks,

Terry

• Staff

Hi Terry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer can only be used to design websites graphically. There's no HTML/CSS export.

The license allows you to install it on multiple computers if there's only a single user/owner or just on a single computer if there's multiple users (not both situations simultaneously).

During the Beta only you can install it freely on whatever computers you want.

Ok, so this is a mockup software then and not actually for creating fully functional website themselves.  

Is there a tool from serif that can take the layout created in Designer and create a functional website from it?  The html and css, javascript ?   
I want a visual designer that I can design a website in and then turn around and export it out and put it on the internet, anything like that available?  Do you have suggestions for doing something like this?

Thanks.

Ok, so this is a mockup software then and not actually for creating fully functional website themselves.  

Is there a tool from serif that can take the layout created in Designer and create a functional website from it?  The html and css, javascript ?   

I want a visual designer that I can design a website in and then turn around and export it out and put it on the internet, anything like that available?  Do you have suggestions for doing something like this?

Thanks.

http://www.serif.com/webplus/

Took a look at the other serif products for windows.   Is affinity designer a replacement also for the drawplus x8 product which is an illustrator type of software right?    I understand now that AD is a fireworks, photoshop replacement for the graphical design mockups.

I am a freelance webdesign, developer but focus mostly on internet based websites and portals.  Are the serif products, webplus, pageplus professional quality or should I look elsewhere?   I am replacing Adobe's Creative Cloud software.

Took a look at the details of webplus x8  and it seems to be an outdated software, talking about IE9 and windows 8 compatible.  Is there going to be an affinity version of a web designer for windows?  Seems the Affinity softwares are the professional version of the software, a new direction for the company seems like.  Good, I just need something now though.  Hmmm...

• Staff

Hi Terry,

The Plus line of software for Windows is not being developed anymore. There's currently no plans to develop a similar software like WebPlus in the new Affinity line.

Currently there's only Affinity Designer for graphic / web (graphical) / UI design and illustration and Affinity Photo for RAW conversion/development and photo editing. There's a desktop publishing app planned for later called Affinity Publisher as well as a DAM software (digital assets management) besides Designer and Photo versions for iPad.

• Staff

Hi Terry,

Affinity Designer is not a replacement for DrawPlus but is a brand new piece of software built from the ground up. You would compare Designer to Illustrator and Photo to Photoshop. Designer has a Pixel Persona which handles raster design. 

WebPlus is primarily a drag and drop application. If you are looking for more information regarding WebPlus, I would highly recommend taking a look at CommunityPlus.

There are no current plans to release a web application for the Affinity range. 

Hi Terry,

The Plus line of software for Windows is not being developed anymore. There's currently no plans to develop a similar software like WebPlus in the new Affinity line.

Currently there's only Affinity Designer for graphic / web (graphical) / UI design and illustration and Affinity Photo for RAW conversion/development and photo editing. There's a desktop publishing app planned for later called Affinity Publisher as well as a DAM software (digital assets management) besides Designer and Photo versions for iPad.

Is there a date on the Affinity Publisher?  I am looking at the current product PagePlus X9 for PDF management and creation for newsletters and ebook creation. I assume I have to use something else to write the content in.

I will install the Designer Beta for windows and the Photo beta for windows and see what they are like. Is the windows price for these two products going to be same as the current Mac version?    I have a few other questions but will send email to support if I can find the contact info for those. 

Thanks.

Is there a date on the Affinity Publisher?

No.

I am looking at the current product PagePlus X9 for PDF management and creation for newsletters and ebook creation. I assume I have to use something else to write the content in.

PPX9 currently has some bugs which are waiting to be addressed in a final patch (probably not before the end of this year, since Serif are concentrating on getting Affinity Publisher out as soon as possible). PPX8 is currently better value, and as a registered user of X8 you will qualify for a large enough discount on X9 that the total cost of both should be less than the full price of X9 on its own.

I will install the Designer Beta for windows and the Photo beta for windows and see what they are like. Is the windows price for these two products going to be same as the current Mac version?

We've been told that the price will be the same as for the Mac versions. I believe we can also expect an introductory discount when they first become available to buy.

I have a few other questions but will send email to support if I can find the contact info for those.

These forums seem to be the primary support channel, and I couldn't find an email address on the main Affinity pages. Try support@seriflabs.com.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

PPX9 currently has some bugs which are waiting to be addressed in a final patch (probably not before the end of this year, since Serif are concentrating on getting Affinity Publisher out as soon as possible). PPX8 is currently better value, and as a registered user of X8 you will qualify for a large enough discount on X9 that the total cost of both should be less than the full price of X9 on its own.

I can't find PPX8 on serif.com for sale and checking Amazon it is identical price to PPX9 so unless PPX9 is a free upgrade then I would be paying more for both versions than 9 on it's own. If you can direct me to where PPX8 is on sale for less and let me know the upgrade price to PPX9 that would be appreciated. I can't see an upgrade price unless I buy PPX first, or at least I have not found it, am I looking in wrong place on serif.com?

I can't find PPX8 on serif.com for sale and checking Amazon it is identical price to PPX9 so unless PPX9 is a free upgrade then I would be paying more for both versions than 9 on it's own. If you can direct me to where PPX8 is on sale for less and let me know the upgrade price to PPX9 that would be appreciated. I can't see an upgrade price unless I buy PPX first, or at least I have not found it, am I looking in wrong place on serif.com?

My apologies, Terry. I had intended to include this link in my previous post: http://www.serif.com/pageplus/offer

As you can see, the offer price for X8 is a third of the full price for X9. The upgrade discount is not far short of 40%.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It is a pity the serif has decided to drop the website design webplus, I used it fir many years, it was quite simply the best software to design your website with, all others do not have the versatility and are sadly lacking, I have tried others only to find that hmmm feeling, wix is ok but again not upto the job as webplus was, I would like to see an affinity version, like the old plus series so you can put your designs or photos from one app straight into your designed website, pageplus also had some web design features. The advertising alone would be good, website made via infinity apps, I used to use all the drawplus, photoplus pageplus and webplus, the x period and so on, I always had a serif logo at the bottom of the webpage and link to the serif website but I guess it is hard to keep up with the ever evolving www, security and so on, I also found the forum part was better than most as they got hacked but not serif, I trusted it completely, I have had a backdoor takeover from other commercial forums that allowed people to send out emails using the sites email boxes for junk mail or worse, had to shut the site down in the end, since then I have used the limited wix but no longer feel enthusiastic about web design due to the demise of webplus and it's ease of use to do professional looking website the way you want it.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:55 AM, Gerryk said:

It is a pity the serif has decided to drop the website design webplus, I used it fir many years, it was quite simply the best software to design your website with, all others do not have the versatility and are sadly lacking, I have tried others only to find that hmmm feeling, wix is ok but again not upto the job as webplus was, I would like to see an affinity version, like the old plus series so you can put your designs or photos from one app straight into your designed website, pageplus also had some web design features. The advertising alone would be good, website made via infinity apps, I used to use all the drawplus, photoplus pageplus and webplus, the x period and so on, I always had a serif logo at the bottom of the webpage and link to the serif website but I guess it is hard to keep up with the ever evolving www, security and so on, I also found the forum part was better than most as they got hacked but not serif, I trusted it completely, I have had a backdoor takeover from other commercial forums that allowed people to send out emails using the sites email boxes for junk mail or worse, had to shut the site down in the end, since then I have used the limited wix but no longer feel enthusiastic about web design due to the demise of webplus and it's ease of use to do professional looking website the way you want it.

you speak straight from the depth of my heart.

I came to Affinity because I was a long term Macromedia client and fan. Designer, a´part from a few quirks, replaces freehand which I used for 20 years first as Aldus than Macromedia. We all know the use for Affinity photo but Adobe swallowed Dreamweaver and I am not thinking of going there. The new one isn't half as good and I really can't afford the subscription.

I downloaded Designer because i was hoping, like you, that there would be an HTML export.

Oh yes, I would go for that immediately. But as it stands, I need a good counsel what to use instead.

10 minutes ago, anita said:

Oh yes, I would go for that immediately. But as it stands, I need a good counsel what to use instead.

Hello @anita,

Serif have made clear that a web development tool in the Affinity range will not happen any time soon, if at all.

I advice you to look for an editor that fits your needs and workflow somewhere else because there are many good alternatives nowadays.
In this thread here in the forum you can read some of the representatives confirm this.

A little further down the page someone posted a couple of good website builders you could try out (I myself use Coffeecup's Site Designer).
You could also search the web for something like 'best website builders' to find many articles as a starting point. It may take some reading and trial to find the best solution that fits your needs. But there is no simple answer.

I sincerely hope this is a starting point for you 🙂

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 11/4/2020 at 5:10 PM, anita said:

you speak straight from the depth of my heart.

I came to Affinity because I was a long term Macromedia client and fan. Designer, a´part from a few quirks, replaces freehand which I used for 20 years first as Aldus than Macromedia. We all know the use for Affinity photo but Adobe swallowed Dreamweaver and I am not thinking of going there. The new one isn't half as good and I really can't afford the subscription.

I downloaded Designer because i was hoping, like you, that there would be an HTML export.

I started using Serif programs when they first started.   Many, Many Years ago their Page Plus had HTML code and was used for web design, even back then.

My main computing went over to Mac in 2001 but I had to buy a PC just to run my WebPlus website.   (Webplus is probably my Favourite all time programme.) 

I too would like to see Serif do HTML as my website on WebPus x8, is starting to have issues.

The more I use and learn on the New Affinity programmes (Designer & Photo) which I think are very good,  the more I appreciate the older Serif xPlus programmes.  I find myself switching back to Draw Plus and Page plus often for basic things that are (Incredibly) missing from the 'All new, Singing and Dancing' programmes.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Gotta agree with you folks about a website building software from this company.  I was a huge fan of WebPlus but as mentioned very outdated.  I see on line there is a WebPlus 11 or 10.5 but I don't think it's real so I have WebPlus 8 here on my hard drive, not installed.  

I recently had to move my domain and hosting from WIX and Register.com as they were just out of my price range with all that's going on with COVID so had to downgrade.  Well I got turned on to a fairly good company called NameCheap.  Yea, I know, a very strange name but affordable.  Well their Website Builder software is quite buggy and so I was hoping I would find a solution on line for software that was easy and comparable to WebPlus.  One thing I loved about WebPlus is there is an upload option which came in handy.  

I guess I'll look on line for the MS Expression and see if that seems good.  

Yea, I hear you Catshill.  The WordPress revolution is annoying.  NameCheap has a WordPress app too to build a site from but those templates are limiting and honestly quite ugly.  I tried for a day to get one of them to look as beautiful as my website looked but no go on that front.  SO I switched over to the Website Builder app and that was better but the menus are a mess.  Like I would tell the software I wanted just the selected text box to only show on the HOME page and then when I would switch to another page there's that text box so the software is ignoring commands I had in place.  It's too bad but I can't keep pulling out my hair over it.  So back to square one and quite unhappy about it.