You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Autosave "parent file could not be found"

I was working on an Affinity Designer (Mac OSx Yosemite )document for three hours without saving (yes I know!) when AD crashed. So I reopened the working document. I don't remember seeing an option to recover an autosaved file but is possible that it was there and that I missed it. Anyway the resulting opened document is the last saved version of three hours earlier. I haven't closed AD yet because as I understand I will loose the autosaved file.

Following answers in this forum I looked for the autosaved files in:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave

There I found two ".autosave" files. Opening the first it told me that it couldn't open it because the file was already open. So I closed the opened AD document and went back to the autosave folder to find only one ".autosave" file. When trying to open it an AD message window tells me:

"The file is a linked file, but the parent file could not be found."

According to Finder the autosave file is there in the autosave folder with 323.7mb but according to AD it is just a link. Is there a way to get to the actual file? 

I would appreciate any help.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum adq97 :)

Sorry for the delay replying to your post.

If the app crashes it should recover the file when opening, you're only given this option once which may explain why you was unable to recover the file afterwards. 

It isn't possible to open the auto saved files, which is something discussed in this thread.