You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo for Windows without Aero

• Staff

We currently require Aero on Windows 7, disabling it causes it to use a non WDDM graphics driver that we depend on for performance and hardware features, We may remove this requirement in the future but we need to implement fallbacks to be compatible,

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad about this Aero constraint.   Affinity Photo installed on my desktop, but upon start it says that Aero is not enabled, despite my Win7/64bit having an Aero theme and all the performance checkmarks enabled.     So, I'm guessing this has something to do with my Nvidia graphics card.     All my other software runs fine (eg.  Adobe Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC).  

Photo runs fine on my laptop (Lenovo T460s, win7/64bit) and I like it.   Nice and snappy behavior with adjustments, selections,  and layers.  I like the channels and am getting use to the slightly different masking behavior.    HDR was a bit slow in merging 5 images, though. 

I believe it must have essentially *on* desktop composition, visual styles in windows and buttons, font edge smoothing, thumbnail icons view.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2016 at 10:00 PM, TonyB said:

Nous avons actuellement besoin d'Aero sur Windows 7, la désactivant lui fait utiliser un pilote graphique non WDDM dont nous dépendons pour les performances et les fonctionnalités matérielles.......... 

Bonsoir.

Je découvre c fil.

J'utilise Ap 1 6 293 et 1 6 3 96 sur Windows 7 64.

Je ne savais pas qu'il fallait installer un thème "Aero". Et pourtant.....

Je n'ai remarqué aucun comportement suspect à ce jour. 

Donc: Dois je impérativement utiliser un thème Aéro ou puis je rester ainsi sans conéquences ?

Cordialement.

Sorry if I didn't understand right, haven't used Google translate to read it, and I don't know French.... xD  (but French comes from latin... ;)  )... But basically, you can't run Affinity without desktop composition (which needs basically setting ON aero by applying any theme) . There's a command line parameter that can be added to the executable desktop icon link (via rmb, properties on the icon), but this would trigger a mode once in the app, that could carry quite some loss in performance, bugs, errors... is a totally unsupported way (indeed, I dunno if it works anymore) , which means, you get no support to whatever happens if you use it in that mode ! Consider that... 

My advice: Just use Aero, in my signature I recommend just eliminating a good number of Aero pesky things, and save it as you "reduced aero" custom theme, you can do it till such a extent, so much that the changes compared to classic mode are minimal, only lightly aesthetic, as to make a big deal of it...

Is a Windows 7-only dilema, anyway, as 8.0, 8.1 and Windows 10 come with the needed stuff "on".

As a last note: Would be very long to explain, but I have noticed that the classic mode -no aero- is starting to have issues with other applications latest updates, as well....  Computers are like that... all is based in updating, so, adapting... ;)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 24/12/2017 at 0:08 AM, Rashid Bin Ahmad al-Mu'all said:

well, programers do not good work...to use a gui from others.

i have deleted the software after the message...but i not need software they want something special...i need software they work...on any system.

so 50 euro for the trashcan...than better use my photoshop 6.0

You can choose to ignore the error by using the command line flag --no-dwm-warning. Though we won't accept any bug reports whilst this command line flag is active.

It's not Aero that's required, it's the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). This is only an issue on Windows 7, as from Windows 8 and above, DWM is always enabled.

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2016 at 4:00 PM, TonyB said:

We currently require Aero on Windows 7, disabling it causes it to use a non WDDM graphics driver that we depend on for performance and hardware features, We may remove this requirement in the future but we need to implement fallbacks to be compatible,

Not liking this requirement, Aero, so will wait for the fix.

-Sandy

In 2020 it's goodbye to security patches for Win7, it's.... ended, done for good.... so, anyway.... Were you planning to keep using it ?

6 minutes ago, SrPx said:

In 2020 it's goodbye to security patches for Win7, it's.... ended, done for good.... so, anyway.... Were you planning to keep using it ?

Yes, I was aware that 7 has to be ended, but I don't like 10 and I thought I had some time before the transition. And I may be in some trouble if some of my "old" unbloated software doesn't work anymore. I work on a PC and have excellent security.  Right now I'll just struggle away with Affinity products.

-Sandy

• 1 year later...

The problem is that instead of checking for WDDM 1.1+ capabilities its checking for windows aero, which is a 2nd order effect. On a WDDM compatible machine it appears to work just fine without aero enabled if the check is simply bypassed.

AKA, its a low IQ check, because its checking for a _THEME_ which is only possible when a certain capability exists. Having the capability, but not the theme, incorrectly results in an application failure. Put another way, its simply a bug.