You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NIK Collection plugins

For those of us who never used Photoshop (not for 20 years anyway) can someone explain how to install the NIK plugins. I could not find anything in the Help files.

Program itself installed fine and seems to be working fine on a Win 7 laptop that has not been updated since MS started shoving Win10 onto everyone's computer without permission.

Snow Queen, I just installed it by going to edit/preferences/check the box photoshop plugins/add, go to where the Nik collection is and select.  I was able to just click the whole file 'Nik collection', didn't have to do them individually.  Had to do as MEB suggested enable the box "allow unknown plugins to be used".

I can only get the NIK Collection to work with 8 bit images, is this the norm for everyone else?

Same here.

The question I have is I don't see the brush option in the Nik collection.  Is there a way to get the Nik brush to work?

For those of us who never used Photoshop (not for 20 years anyway) can someone explain how to install the NIK plugins. I could not find anything in the Help files.

Program itself installed fine and seems to be working fine on a Win 7 laptop that has not been updated since MS started shoving Win10 onto everyone's computer without permission.

You just have to set preferences->Photoshop Pluings in Affinity that it points to C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection.

After restart of Affinity Photo, you will see them Filter->Plugins

I've got the NIK plug ins working fine, like the other 2 say they're working the rest are unknown but they work. I also use NIK with Photoshop Elements and there is a difference between the settings page on both. In Elements you have the option for any changes to be made to a new layer, whereas in the settings in Affinity Photo that option does not appear and all changes are made to the current layer. OK no problem all I have to do is remember to duplicate the layer before using NIK and then rename it afterwards, but this would be a convenient option. Any chance this could be included.

Posted this in a related thread but got no answer this far: Is there anything specific I need to do to actually get the plugins reported to work to do so?  All of my PS plugins are showing, but with the welcome-screen images, selecting them has no apparent effect (this also goes for ones explicitly reported as working, such as Nik Color Efex Pro), and with an image of my own (16 bit TIFF), all of the plugins are greyed-out in the menu. My system is x64 Windows 10 Pro, in case that's relevant.

• Staff

Hi curio,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Photoshop plugin support is still being worked on. Some plug-ins do not work correctly or do not work at all.

Currently the Google Nik Collection only works with 8 bit images. The plug-ins will appear greyed out if you are working with a 16 bit image/document.

@MEB: Ah, OK, so the 8 vs. 16 bit issue explains that observation. Thanks for the welcome and reply!

But even for images where the plugins aren't greyed out, plugins such as Nik Color Efex Pro, reported to work, have no effect when I select them (no window pops up as I would expect).

To those for whom Nik Color Efex Pro, to stay with the example, does work: which of the welcome screen images have you succeeded to use it on?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone got the brush in Affinity Photo>Nik Collection? I am appending a screenshot of Analog Efex Pro 2, but it seems the same in all modules. Photoshop vs Affinity Photo

NikAEP2-PSvsAP.jpg

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

Thanks for replying, IndigoMoon. I have read in another topic here that there is a guy who got the Nik Selective Tool working in Affinity through macros and through modifying a couple of config files. However, although I'm an advanced Mac user, I tend to stay away from such a solution, as I'm still using Photoshop besides Affinity Photo. In the former I dare consider myself an expert, in the latter I'm just a beginner. But you are indeed confirming that the brush cannot work without the Selective tool. Thanks again.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.