You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Zoom Value Adjusted for Windows scaling

roppp

Hi. On a 24" 4K monitor with 200% UI scaling factor set in Windows 10, the edited picture is shown 1:1 (one pixel in the picture equals one pixel on the monitor) when zoom is set to 50% and not when set to 100% as I would expect. Please see attached screenshot for reference.

post-40915-0-33273600-1478803224_thumb.png

Thanks for your reply. For the GUI it definitely makes sense. But should it be same for the edited picture? Means I need to calculate based on my UI scaling the correct zoom value in case I want to see the image 1:1 (one image pixel is one device pixel)? 

Or is there an easy way to set zoom to 1:1?

Knowing that what you're looking at is 1:1 _unscaled_ device pixels is crucial sometimes in judging certain things.

There are lot of posts around that tell you in programs like PS to only make certain decisions when at 100%, because any scaling affects  what you're seeing.

The choice to display as logical pixels is - no pun intended - logical and can be nice a lot of times (like you say, as long as monitors report their dpi / true-size OK, it makes it easy to view two things at the exact same physical size, even if one monitor is larger than the other).

but in image editing it can be unwanted too, and probably more important. Which is the default I'm not going into right now, but using device pixels (and specially, unscaled device pixels) is something that needs to be unavailable.

The document still contains the same amount of data. If you create an 800x600 pixel document, it will only have 800x600 pixels in it. It's just we show it at a logical zoom. If you want to view it at 1:1 ratio, choose the Zoom tool, and type the correct percentage in. If you're at 200% Windows scale, type 50% into the zoom tool, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

This is definitely a bug. Other graphics programs (Photoshop, Lightroom, ON1 Photo RAW etc) display the image pixels correctly, despite setting a custom Windows scaling. Only this program enlarges the pixels according to the scaling which is not acceptable. As a result, the pixels are blurred.

post-45268-0-64394100-1481883978_thumb.jpg

That's the whole discussion. And yes, why I keep saying you _need_ a perfect 1:1 unscaled image view (you're statement 'the pixels are blurred' is exactly a good reason for that).

But it's not technically a bug, it's by design. A design that has a problem in my (and your) opinion, but by design none the less. So that requires changes some things that might not be easily fixed that way.

Bug or not, the problem of not being able to quickly and easily toggle to a 1:1 view as I can with every other editor I use makes Affinity Photo a nonstarter for me.

The program also appears to ignore the compatibility option to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", so this can't be worked around by accepting a tiny interface to get proper image display.

Seems this software is not for me.