You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Doesn't appear to support OMD - EM10 Mk1

It supports my old E-30 orfs, and my old dng files, but not the orfs from the E-m10 (MK 1!).  It displays the 'empty' generic ORF icon.  This does not occur on the E-30 orf files.

However, oddly, I do seem to be able to open the files, but I'm not sure what is being edited, the embedded thumbnail or the actual raw file.

• Staff

Hi Glen,

Does the image that is displayed when you open the ORF file look to be correct and the resolution is as you would expect? I've only been able to find 1 sample file from that camera (http://rawsamples.ch/index.php/en/olympus), however it opens up and looks to be correct. Regarding the thumbnail, this is a Windows 'issue', we just use the thumbnail Windows gives us and I don't believe they support a thumbnail for that camera yet (as a clean Windows 10 machine indicates).

I've opened an ORF from my OMD-EM10 mark1 and it seemed OK, but it was the first raw photo I opened and I don't know if it opened correctly as a raw file. Later when I tried an ARW from my Sony I went searching and saw the 32bit-HDR type selected (so it's using all the info available in the raw file) but I didn't test this with my OMD-EM10 Mark1. It seemed fine though.

(Initial sharpness and colors made me think 'raw' and not 'preview jpg' but like I said, I didn't double-check).

Will check it out later tonight / this weekend though. And I can supply samples if the file are needed of course.

yeah, forgot to post the update but my EM-10 mark1 files open just fine.. although with zero support for the built-in corrections (so some wider lenses suddenly have lots of distortion where the jpgs or the raw opened in ACR / DXO don't).

My Sony A65 ARW files seem to crash at random points though, but that's another topic :)

Hi Glen,

Does the image that is displayed when you open the ORF file look to be correct and the resolution is as you would expect? I've only been able to find 1 sample file from that camera (http://rawsamples.ch/index.php/en/olympus), however it opens up and looks to be correct. Regarding the thumbnail, this is a Windows 'issue', we just use the thumbnail Windows gives us and I don't believe they support a thumbnail for that camera yet (as a clean Windows 10 machine indicates).

Well I tried to load a codec into windows 10 (sagethumbs) and while Windows Explorer now displays E-M10 files, Affinity still will not display the thumbnail in the file manager open menu

The image looks fine once it is opened, and I'm reasonably certain Affinity is processing the Raw E-M10 file. Using ACDsee Ultimate as a front end to Affinity works well, so it isn't a major issue for me personally, but I think there is going to be a problem there for other workflows.

I've opened an ORF from my OMD-EM10 mark1 and it seemed OK . . . Will check it out later tonight / this weekend though. And I can supply samples if the file are needed of course.

Man, I've wondered if Win 10 is ready for a production environment.  I to can supply E-M10 raw files if the Developers need some known photos that are 'problematic'

I've got thumbnail generation disabled system wide.. never relied on it or used it. Then again, I now realize I most often have some sort of tool in front of Photoshop, with a filmstrip view (DxO, FastRawViewer, Adobe Bridge) which helps me in filtering. After that is done, I don't get what the picture looks like, I already decided 'to keep it' / 'to use it' :).

But If Affinity does a rather simple 'file open' dialog, I guess it's not much they can do (wrong or good) about it and it's something system related.

I often use IrfanView to go through all the files in a folder to fin a specific one. It just displays the image fullsize, but it uses the embedded preview-jpgs so it's fast. I can just hit (And holD) spacebar to skip to the next, till I find the image I want and I drag it into Photoshop or drag it into Affinity.

And Win10 'ready for production'. Hmm. In my mind, it's no different than Win7 or 8 (or Vista even). It's Windows 6.x. I have Classic Shell installed to get the start menu to my liking and I never see any of the 'app' sections to it's a regular desktop with regular Windows programs... no different. But the little sneaky changes may be enough to trip someone up who is _Really_ used to a certain way of working.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.