You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Skinner,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no vector based perspective or mesh warp/distortion tools available in Designer yet (a mesh/warp distort tool is already on Designers's roadmap). To skew an object just place the mouse cursor above the middle control handles (approaching from outside the object) until it changes to a skew icon then drag.

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, MEB said:

Hi Skinner,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no vector based perspective or mesh warp/distortion tools available in Designer yet (a mesh/warp distort tool is already on Designers's roadmap). To skew an object just place the mouse cursor above the middle control handles (approaching from outside the object) until it changes to a skew icon then drag.

When? It has been a while since Affinity Designer has been out. I am surprised that these essential features have not been implemented by now.

You can’t really compete with Adobe Illustrator without having these basic needs. We should at least have a perspective tool with Free Transform by now.

4 minutes ago, AffinityAppMan said:

When?

Everything on the 1.x roadmap will be provided to us in a free update to version 1. Version 1.7 isn't even out yet, and I think we can reasonably expect it to be followed by version 1.8, so we may be waiting quite a while for any given feature.

8 minutes ago, AffinityAppMan said:

... essential features ... basic needs.

Everyone's list of "essential features" or "basic needs" is different.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Everything on the 1.x roadmap will be provided to us in a free update to version 1. Version 1.7 isn't even out yet, and I think we can reasonably expect it to be followed by version 1.8, so we may be waiting quite a while for any given feature.

Yes, my needs are different depending on what I am working on at any given time, and I can really use this tool in some projects I am working on right now. They are very essential to me, and for what I have read on this forum, essential to many other people as well.  I hope this gets implemented soon. Many people need this.

53 minutes ago, AffinityAppMan said:

Yes, my needs are different depending on what I am working on at any given time, and I can really use this tool in some projects I am working on right now. They are very essential to me, and for what I have read on this forum, essential to many other people as well.  I hope this gets implemented soon. Many people need this.

I hear you. Don’t get me wrong: I’d also like to see a vector mesh warp/distort feature in the app, along with a blend tool and various other things which would allow us to achieve things that are currently impossible.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
1 hour ago, AffinityAppMan said:

When? It has been a while since Affinity Designer has been out. I am surprised that these essential features have not been implemented by now.

You can’t really compete with Adobe Illustrator without having these basic needs. We should at least have a perspective tool with Free Transform by now.

Hi AffinityAppMan,

There's no eta for any specific feature listed on the roadmap. They will be added as free updates during the 1.x cycle of the app according to the dev team plans/constraints.

Affinity Designer is still relatively new. We are trying to close the gaps to other apps as fast as we can but as you can imagine there's plenty of features to add/work to do. Illustrator has been in development for decades. Bear with us while we work to get there.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi AffinityAppMan,

There's no eta for any specific feature listed on the roadmap. They will be added as free updates during the 1.x cycle of the app according to the dev team plans/constraints.

Affinity Designer is still relatively new. We are trying to close the gaps for other apps as fast as we can but as you can imagine there's plenty of features to add/work to do. Illustrator has been in development for decades. Bear with us while we work to get there.

Hi Meb,

I am not really complaining. I guess I am very frustrated and disappointed because I really like Affinity Designer and I really want it to be my app of choice for any illustration project I create. This week has been very frustrating when using Affinity Designer without a perspective or warp tool.  Since time is of the essence for certain projects, you can see why I feel this way. I have spent so much time trying find a way to work around this and is not easy at times.

That being said, I have been very patient since the beginning of implementing AD into my workflow.  I want AD to do well, and I do appreciate all your efforts.

cheers

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you include such things as cross-platform compatibility, resource management efficiency, responsiveness/live updating, user friendliness, & UI consistency on the list, then no app includes them all, not even Adobe's various ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

The only "workaroundish" I can think of is to effectively design the art warped.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd check in on this again. Looks like still no progress? Even a simple "skew" like we had in "Illustrator '88" would be a way to "fake it". There are so many advanced path manipulation functions that are tremendously useful that are already in Designer. I love the product, and this function isn't an everyday need, but whenever there is a need for it, there's just no substitute (other than tedious hand-manipulation of curves to fake it that never comes out quite right).

ill88.jpeg

OK, "duh", I guess. I found the numeric "skew" value (assuming that's what the "S" stands for in the Transform palette. I don't know why searching for "Skew" in the help doesn't take me there, but when I saw the rotation value and the little empty "S" value and started changing it, I was happy. (Suggestion for modification of the help system: there's nothing wrong with calling it "shear", lol, but I didn't think of that. Wouldn't it be nice if searching the help led me here anyway if I'm the kind of guy who still can't remember not to order a "small" coffee at Starbucks?)

transform-skew.png

6 minutes ago, Skinner said:

there's nothing wrong with calling it "shear"...

Actually, there has been some discussion in the past about whether "shear" or "skew" is the most appropriate name for that function. The most common definitions of "shear" refer to cutting off or breaking something, while for "skew" a very common one refers to distorting, bending, or twisting something. To me, that makes "skew" the better choice, but YMMV.

In case you have not yet discovered it, the "S" function, whatever you want to call it, is also available on the canvas by hovering the pointer over one of the middle control handles in the bounding box of a selected object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

To me, that makes "skew" the better choice, but YMMV.

Whichever one you think is the better choice, it would be good if we could type in either term to find the relevant Help topic.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Blimey - just discovered LibreOffice does genuine vector perspective warping - ACE! - plus I've been using it for years on the Mac to open clients sent .CDR coreldraw and .PUB MS publisher docs - pretty handy - noticed you can copy paste from Affinity apps into LibreOffice but only pastes bitmaps back into Affinity but save as pdf retains vectors but defaults to RGB

Not bad for a FREE office suite

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk