You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Media Navigation Browser

As far as I can tell there is no media navigation browser capability in Affinity Photo as you might find in Adobe Lightroom, Graphic Converter Pro, Adobe Bridge, etc.  It will be a big help if a resource folder tree and navigation thumbnails could be implemented along the left hand side or wherever to be able to browser and edit  multiple photos, saving them all in batch, rather then having one photo assigned to one tab as seems to be the current way of open multiple photos.  If say I wanted to open a folder of 50 folders and had to create 50 tabs  for those photos, it would be pretty difficult to navigate through each of those photos, or comparing a couple photos side by side. 

To a lesser degree, but equally important, since most DSLRs and MILCs support video these days, the ability to display those along with the photos and do very basic  edits like trims or set the poster frame of a video clip would also be nice to have.  This is already doable in Apple's Photos app.

Cheers,

Jerry

Tokyo, Japan

Jerry S.

Tokyo, Japan

• Staff

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is not a DAM software. It doesn't manage libraries as Lightroom, Aperture etc. It's only a RAW converter/developer and photo editing application. We will have another software for that later.

There's a basic browser (check the menu View ▸ Media Browser...) in Photo but it's far from the offering those capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up on the matter.  I took a look at the basic browser function you point out under the View Menu.  Yes that is fairly basic, but, better then nothing.   I am looking forward to what you folks do come up with as a DAM-like offering.  If it's any thing lilke Affinity Photos is to photo editing, I can imagine your DAM offering will be equally awesome for assets management.   Apple's photos app does come close to what I would like by integrates  browsing, cataloguing and editing as an all-in-one solution.  Problem with Apple though  is, they continue dumb down their applications.  I've been looking alternatively at ACDSee or Cyberlink's Photo Director  as alternatives to Photos and has the functionality I seek but, no decision yet.  Lightroom would have been the perfect integration of every thing.... but every since they decided to begin with that forever, monthly fee-based subscription rental service I jumped ship.  Simplicity, Intuitiveness, elegance... these are key factors in UI design.   People want to be efficient and productive.   Thanks again for answer.

Jerry S.

Tokyo, Japan