You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugins That Work With Affinity Photo

These are the plugins that I have found to work so far with Affinity Photo. The image must be in 8 bit mode

​From the Google NIK Collection

​Analog Efex
Color Efex
​Dfine 2
Sharpener Pro
​Silver Efex
HDR Efex

​Viveza crashes Affinity Photo as soon as you add a Control Point.

​From the Topaz Collection

​DeNoise

Glow
​Impression
Texture Effects

​ReMask gives a message about unlocking transparency first so I need to investigate that more.

​Other Topaz products I haven't added a plugins yet but I'll report back once I have done so

​Please feel free to add any plugins you get working to this list.

• Staff

Thanks Mike, that's very useful! I think we are going to compile a list of all the compatible plugins eventually so if we can make sure these make it on the list. 

@MEB Ah I haven't seen that list before. I think it would be an idea if we had a sticky with a list of all the known working plugins.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I've put a list here for the Mac version. I believe most plug-ins will behave the same in Photo Beta for Windows but i'm still checking this out with the latest Photo Beta for Mac and Windows.

Currently the implementations are quite different, but they will be largely similar. Overtime we will bring the two platforms closer together in their support for plugins.

Is there anything specific I need to do to actually get the plugins reported to work to do so?  All of my PS plugins are showing, but with the welcome-screen images, selecting them has no apparent effect (this also goes for ones explicitly reported as working, such as Nik Color Efex Pro), and with an image of my own (16 bit TIFF), all of the plugins are greyed-out in the menu. My system is x64 Windows 10 Pro, in case that's relevant.

Hi,

do you have in plan to implement as much as possible of this plug-ins as native Photo features, so that there would be no need of them?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi Mike,

I've put a list here for the Mac version. I believe most plug-ins will behave the same in Photo Beta for Windows but i'm still checking this out with the latest Photo Beta for Mac and Windows.

Link doesn't work - "backend not available"

These are the plugins that I have found to work so far with Affinity Photo. The image must be in 8 bit mode

​Analog Efex

Color Efex

​Dfine 2

Sharpener Pro

​Silver Efex

HDR Efex

​DeNoise

Glow

​Impression

Texture Effects

​ReMask gives a message about unlocking transparency first so I need to investigate that more.

​Other Topaz products I haven't added a plugins yet but I'll report back once I have done so

Sharpener Pro looks like it works ie the window opens, but for me that is as far as it goes.

​Analog Efex

Color Efex

​Dfine 2

Sharpener Pro

​Silver Efex

HDR Efex

​DeNoise

Glow

​Impression

Texture Effects

I get the same message from Remask 5.

Is there anything specific I need to do to actually get the plugins reported to work to do so?  All of my PS plugins are showing, but with the welcome-screen images, selecting them has no apparent effect (this also goes for ones explicitly reported as working, such as Nik Color Efex Pro), and with an image of my own (16 bit TIFF), all of the plugins are greyed-out in the menu. My system is x64 Windows 10 Pro, in case that's relevant.

You need to switch to 8 bit working using Document, Colour Format, RGB (8 bit). Also check that in Preferences you have ticked the box "Allow unknown plugins to be used"

post-32291-0-59717600-1479027645_thumb.jpg

When instaling a new beta or final version, are all paths to plug-ins and installed brushes... preserved or we need to reinstall them after any new version?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi,

For those interested if you still have Topaz Adjust 4, it works in Affinity Photo Windows

I also tried Topaz Remask 3 but it reports the same problem as version 5

I hope this is useful to someone

May the light be with you!

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me how to use Topaz Labs with Affinity Photo?

You should be able to access them by: Edit>Preferences>Photoshop Plugins and pointing to the folder where your plugins are currently installed, assuming they're not in the default location.

As previously stated, you also need to ensure the box "Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used" is also ticked.  (For me, all my Topaz plugs show as "Unknown" but can be used.)

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

You should be able to access them by: Edit>Preferences>Photoshop Plugins and pointing to the folder where your plugins are currently installed, assuming they're not in the default location.

As previously stated, you also need to ensure the box "Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used" is also ticked.  (For me, all my Topaz plugs show as "Unknown" but can be used.)

I did all of this and they show up in my filters panels, but do not open the plugin when i click on them. I have the allow unknown tab checked also.

I did all of this and they show up in my filters panels, but do not open the plugin when i click on them. I have the allow unknown tab checked also.

You will need to copy the actual plugin files from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Topaz Labs\ <filter name> \Plugins_x64" and ""C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\ <filter name> \Plugins_x64" directories to the "%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Plugins" directory as Topaz Labs uses links in the PS directories.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Add the Topaz root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Topaz Labs\) to the plugin list in AFPhoto.

regards,

Ablichter

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi pefunk,

There's no way to save or export files from Develop Persona. It's just a first step taken before moving the file to Photo Persona where you can effectively save or export the file.

Affinity Photo doesn't work like other DMA's (it's not a DAM itself) where all changes made to the RAW file are kept as XMP sidecar files (or DNG). The edits you perform in Develop Persona are "baked" to the file when switching to Photo Persona and cannot be reversed/edited. It's a similar workflow to open a file in Camera RAW (in Photoshop) and them move to Photoshop for further editing, saving the file as a PSD in the end. afphoto files weren't intended to be used for storage. They were developed with performance in mind and so include additional data to help speed up app's responsiveness when managing large files.

We have plans to develop our own DAM application later.

Hi MEB,

thank you for your fast reaction. I am not worried about a DAM, I use ACDSee as DAM. I am more concerned about a non-destructive workflow. As the edits I perform in the develop persona are "baked" into the file, I cannot go back and change them at a later time, I would have to start from scratch. That sets Affinity Photo apart from the likes of ACDSee Ultimate or On1 Photo 2017 that save all the edits of the develop mode into an XMP file before you step to the edit mode. I don't like it, but I could get used to it.

Back to the topic of the thread, plug-ins. I understand that the DxO Viewpoint plug-in is too intimately connected to PS to ever work in Affinity. But there could be an easy solution to this "problem" if the standalone version of Viewpoint could be "called" directly from Affinity's export dialogue with a function like "export as ... and open with ..." Raw Therapee and DxO Optics Pro have that functionality.

Kind of related… https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3000889?ref_topic=3000839"The Nik Collection is free and compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.10; Windows Vista, 7, 8; and Adobe Photoshop through CC 2015. We have no plans to update the Collection or add new features over time."

It seems that Google are preparing to let the much loved Nik Collection wither and die. Even if Serif get's AP to work effectively as plugins with the Nik Collection, the latter will eventually just sink. Sad.

What chance Serif, Adobe, Silkypix, Macphun, Phase One, ON1 or whoever buying up the rights to Nik Collection / patented technology? Engineering control point technology into one of the aforementioned RAW converters would be almost a certified sure fire winner. Quick return on investment.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.