You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scanner Access Missing in Affinity Photo Beta 1.5.0.35

• Staff

Hey Florida Rene, welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

This is actually intended. We have decided to leave it out of the Windows version and recommend that you use your scanner's own software for scanning and then import it into Affinity.

The technical reason for this is that Designer and Photo are 64bit applications, and most scanner manufacturers still only write a 32bit TWAIN driver, which we are unable to directly communicate with. For that reason we recommend using whatever software came with your device to acquire the image, before bringing it into Designer / Photo.

The technical reason for this is that Designer and Photo are 64bit applications, and most scanner manufacturers still only write a 32bit TWAIN driver, which we are unable to directly communicate with. For that reason we recommend using whatever software came with your device to acquire the image, before bringing it into Designer / Photo.

Okay, I can understand that. Thanks. 

I guess my problem is that I'm so accustomed to it with Page Plus x9 that I automatically look for it in your other products. 

Please DO NOT delete this facility in PP.

Please DO NOT delete this facility in PP.

Affinity is developed completely separately from the Plus range on a different code base all together so never the twain shall meet to have the changes in one affect the other! Don't worry nothing will be taken out of PP

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Isn't there an official non TWAIN method of 64 bit support in Windows? For example in Photoshop 64 I'm seeing VueScan which I purchased separately and then "WIA Support" that Windows provides by default.

I'm assuming that VueScan is just presenting itself as a WIA client and Photoshop automatically sees it.

Maybe WIA support could be on the road map after the official release.

Isn't there an official non TWAIN method of 64 bit support in Windows? For example in Photoshop 64 I'm seeing VueScan which I purchased separately and then "WIA Support" that Windows provides by default.

I'm assuming that VueScan is just presenting itself as a WIA client and Photoshop automatically sees it.

VueScan is magical - it really is.  Does its own stuff I think.

Most manufacturers don't write WIA drivers either, and instead rely on a WIA -> TWAIN bridge.

To reduce confusion on this can the references to the Acquire Image and Scanning Images be removed from the help file from both applications?  

Scanning images

You can scan printed images directly from your scanner into your project.

Apple > System PreferencesControl PanelTo scan an image:
  1. Place the item you'd like to scan on the scanner bed.
  2. From the File menu, click Acquire Image.
  3. From the dialog, you can do one of the following:
    • Click Scan for a scan without a low-resolution Overview scan as preview.
    • Click Show Details, for an automatic Overview scan, then Scan for a full scan. Remember to set a higher Resolution (>300dpi) for your full scan.

Your scanned image appears as an 'Untitled' document.

This is in the Help for both Photo and Designer.

Thanks.

VueScan is magical - it really is.  Does its own stuff I think.

Unfortunately it does not work with my Lexmark X83 Printer / Scanner. If I had an older model or next model up I would be ok but vuescan just doesn't support my older scanner.  I have a HP all in one also and it comes with a driver and scanner software that works with Windows 10 though it does not do OCR. ;(

• Staff

To reduce confusion on this can the references to the Acquire Image and Scanning Images be removed from the help file from both applications?

This is in the Help for both Photo and Designer.

Thanks.

Yes we can and will do that.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I do find the this is a significant omission. One problem that I have with Photoshop CC is that if I import an image from my Canon Scanner, it crashes if I then print to my Brother mono laser printer. It works OK in Photoshop CS5, so I keep this for such work.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

jackbassv

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

PhotoPlus X7 and X8 (and other Plus range applications) use 32-bit twain scanning through a thunking layer to our 64-bit application. This took almost a year to develop for the Plus range. It's difficult to get right and prone to support problems.

The Affinity range in Windows has not gone down this route, to focus programming time on other aspects. The programming team could review this decision and reuse some of that code, but all scanners come with software capable of scanning and saving to various file formats.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

jackbassv

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

PhotoPlus X7 and X8 (and other Plus range applications) use 32-bit twain scanning through a thunking layer to our 64-bit application. This took almost a year to develop for the Plus range. It's difficult to get right and prone to support problems.

The Affinity range in Windows has not gone down this route, to focus programming time on other aspects. The programming team could review this decision and reuse some of that code, but all scanners come with software capable of scanning and saving to various file formats.

Probably the best option on Windows would be to support WIA. The second best option would be to have Photoshop import plugin compatibility.

Regarding my earlier post in this thread about VueScan, I talked with those guys and they said with Photoshop they are using a Photoshop import plugin. Since Affinity Photo is already attempting to be compatible with Photoshop plugins, maybe that would be the avenue to explore.

Hi, currently we only support filter plugins, so an import plugin isn't an option. Also, supporting WIA wouldn't help anything, as most hardware manufacturers don't write WIA drivers, and instead rely on a bridge to TWAIN (and then only write 32-bit TWAIN drivers).

I probably should have said the "simplest" option would be to support WIA, rather than the best option.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.