You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Beta introduction video

• Staff

Hey all,

The Windows beta of Photo is now available to try for free! Grab it here: https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-photo-for-windows-is-available-now/

Here's a short (8 minute) video that just runs through a few of the basics for the Photo Windows beta and will hopefully answer some questions you may have:

Direct link if you can't fullscreen the video: https://vimeo.com/190854361

It covers the concept of personas, opening images, panels, raw file development and exporting.

I'd also just like to point out that we have over 120 video tutorials for Photo available in the In-house Affinity Photo Video Tutorials thread (currently at 130 and counting  ;)). They are all macOS-based, but you will find that both the interface and functionality translate to the Windows version, and so I hope you'll find them useful. If you have any questions please ask.

All the best,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thank you for this!! Look forward to using it.  Is the help ebook on the Forum of use with the windows version please?  Is there a list of compatible plugins somewhere?  Thanks again. John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

• Staff

Hey Alex, the beta is actually available! Sorry for not clarifying, I'll put the link in the original post, but you can download it from here: https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-photo-for-windows-is-available-now/

Thanks,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Link takes us to a 'register your email address' screen.  I did this back in March (and now the wait is finally over!!) so I assume I will eventually receive an email with the link, or do I need to re-register? 

Thanks

Clive

I didn't bother waiting for an email! If you know the URL for the Affinity Designer on Windows beta, it's easy to work out the URL for the Affinity Photo on Windows beta. :ph34r:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Looks great.

I am curious to know if this is a UWP app, and whether the Mac version is a Cocoa app?

How do you share code with the Mac version?

Simply curious on how you pull this off since the products for both platforms seems so nice.

Please make sure that Aero is NOT needed when the final product comes out. Having to force users to use this Theme is ridiculous especially since I use other software that uses hardware acceleration just fine without Aero theme on.

I have brought up this subject before under Affinity Designer. In my opinion, needing Aero theme for hardware acceleration is poor programming. I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 with two other programs that use hardware acceleration and they do not require the Aero Theme to be activated and on. (Xilisoft & Sony Vegas Pro)

On 10/11/2016 at 2:41 PM, fblawat said:

Please make sure that Aero is NOT needed when the final product comes out. Having to force users to use this Theme is ridiculous especially since I use other software that uses hardware acceleration just fine without Aero theme on.

I have brought up this subject before under Affinity Designer. In my opinion, needing Aero theme for hardware acceleration is poor programming. I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 with two other programs that use hardware acceleration and they do not require the Aero Theme to be activated and on. (Xilisoft & Sony Vegas Pro)

Can you please stop posting the same thing over and over again? It's impossible to have a conversation about the same thing across multiple forums. My response is here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27638-affinity-designer-public-beta-rc8-15032-windows/?p=134730

Why is this such a problem for you?

As Mark says, he has replied to you in the Designer forum and explained why Aero is needed for the Affinity range.  As I understand it that is not going to change.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Congratulations for the start and all the best!

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

I have been testing the Affinity Photo today, first thing i noticed is that when using the pen tool when defining a shape in an image; there is no right click option to specify the feather size before committing the selection based on the path created using the pen tool. Would be great if we can have that feature on the next release. Second, toggling/resetting between black & white Background/foreground color (preferably using d/x keys). Not able to fill masking with color based on the current background/foreground color (back space) to hide/show masked selected areas. Preferably a separate marquee tool icon from the lasso.

I was not expecting Photo to be out already. That is awesome. And wow, the topics are piling up so fast. I merely just got on the waiting list.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

I have been testing the Affinity Photo today, first thing i noticed is that when using the pen tool when defining a shape in an image; there is no right click option to specify the feather size before committing the selection based on the path created using the pen tool. Would be great if we can have that feature on the next release. Second, toggling/resetting between black & white Background/foreground color (preferably using d/x keys). Not able to fill masking with color based on the current background/foreground color (back space) to hide/show masked selected areas. Preferably a separate marquee tool icon from the lasso.

Feel free to put this in the suggestions forum so it doesn't get lost in the beta wash

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.