You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Install FAQ

• Staff

During the installation of the Affinity range on Windows, the following issues can be flagged. Please see below the descriptions and possible mitigations available.

• Unable to upgrade applications - "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package."

This is a known issue with MSI based installers on Windows. Microsoft have a tool to repair corrupted install databases

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

• How do I know if my PC is running a 64-bit or 32-bit Operating system

Affinity on Windows requires a 64-bit Operating System. Some PCs and laptops run 32-bit OS.

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/help/13443 Which Windows operating system am I running?

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or higher not found

Affinity requires Windows 7 Service pack 1 - this can be installed through Windows Update.

• DirectX 11 not found

Affinity uses DirectX 11 acceleration to achieve smooth panning and zooming of the design canvas.

- Please see https://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113 for how to install DirectX 11.

• Platform Update for Windows 7 not found

Affinity requires the platform update for Windows 7.

- Please see www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=36805

• 64-bit CPU not found

Your PC only has a 32-bit CPU. Unfortunately Affinity will not run on your PC unless it has a 64-bit CPU.

• 64-bit Windows not found (but CPU is 64-bit)

Your PC has a 64-bit CPU but you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows.

- Please install a 64-bit version of Windows.

• Aero requirement to run the Software

We require Desktop Windows Management Composition, rather than native Graphics drivers. This is natively on for Windows 8 and 10, but on Windows 7 this is most easily achieved by turning Aero ON. If you are not willing to turn the Aero theme on there is a work around described in this post, but any issues when running the software won't be logged unless they've been verified as still occurring with DWM Composition enabled.

A more general FAQ regarding the Affinity range including Affinity Designer can be found here in the Questions forum.

I installed Affinity Photo this morning and was very eager to check it out hoping I can ditch Photoshop. Unfortunately Affinity is forcing me to change my Windows theme to Aero. I will not be doing this. Once this limitation is fixed  I will return and test out this product.

I installed Affinity Photo this morning and was very eager to check it out hoping I can ditch Photoshop. Unfortunately Affinity is forcing me to change my Windows theme to Aero. I will not be doing this. Once this limitation is fixed  I will return and test out this product.

If you don't have Desktop Window Manager Composition enabled (which happens when you enable Aero, or have Windows 8 or above) Windows will use a legacy graphics driver which can have severe performance penalties, and rendering errors. During the beta we aren't interested in bug reports from people who don't have DWM enabled, as those bugs are out of our hands. 

Although I run Windows 10, 32bit and my computer is 64 bit capable I only have 4g ram and I'm not willing to upgrade to windows 10, 64bit. This is because of all the software upgrades I would have to do to make my software compatible.  

Affinity Designer and Photo are currently only compatible with 64bit Windows.

Although I run Windows 10, 32bit and my computer is 64 bit capable I only have 4g ram and I'm not willing to upgrade to windows 10, 64bit. This is because of all the software upgrades I would have to do to make my software compatible.  

All of my 32-bit software ran OK on 64-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit Windows 8.1, and it runs fine on this 64-bit Windows 10 laptop (which, by the way, has only 4GB of RAM).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hardware drivers is much more of a consideration than upgrading software, but I think that updating your OS is a big undertaking either way

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

While attempting to insall the beta, the installer hangs on "Computing Space Requirements" and never moves past that dialog.

System Type: 64bit

Installed Memory: 16GB

How much hard drive space do you have (that is the one important detail you haven't given!)?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, after you install the software is there a temporary folder use by the application for the images that you are working on? Is it possible to move it out of the OS disk because I am using an SSD drive and I would like not to read and write all the time on the SSD drive. Is it possible to configure that option? Thank you

Hi Artofmtl

if you have loaded Affinity on the SSD (as I have too), you can locate the images on any HD. I located mine on a separate mechanical drive (MD) of 640Gb. When you use Open in Affinity navigate to and find the mechanical drive and file (within a folder as appropriate) you want to open and edit. When you use Open again it will default to open files on the MD.

Cheers P

Hi Artofmtl

if you have loaded Affinity on the SSD (as I have too), you can locate the images on any HD. I located mine on a separate mechanical drive (MD) of 640Gb. When you use Open in Affinity navigate to and find the mechanical drive and file (within a folder as appropriate) you want to open and edit. When you use Open again it will default to open files on the MD.

Cheers P

Thank you PaulAffinity

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.