You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] flip view (artboard/canvas/document)

F_Kal

regarding Affinity Designer:

May I suggest that for illustration work the ability to flip the artboard (with all its contents) would be rather useful? (for checking the synthesis balance that is)

just like one can do in Affinity Photo!

Actually it would be more appropriate if the option was under the view menu, (where rotation/zoom/new view exists) and be applied to a specific View, not the actual document data - but that's taking it a bit too far and I don't want to scare anybody ;-p

hi @herbert123 thanks for the reply!

If I got it right, you suggest selecting all layers and then transform->Flip Horizontal-ing them, right?

It's a good trick, and I suppose this would work when you occasionally need to flip everything, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it's far from optimal for systematic use - I'm detecting the following three bottlenecks in particular:

- cmd+A won't select all layers in any tool other than the Move [V] tool (it won't work while using the vector brush tool, or the pen tool for instance)

- Flipping the layers would flip them according to the center of the combined selection, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's the center of the art-board (of course this can be solved if you have a rectangle at the bottom of the stack sized like the artboard)

- by the end of the process all layers are selected so you have to reselect back to the original layer/group where you were working on, and finally choose the tool you were using before switching to the move tools

in other words

<V>, <Cmd+A>, /, <click select proper layer/group>, <B>

-Fotis

PS. Having a dedicated Flip View option, would have the additional benefit of allowing you to flip the canvas mid-process eg. while adding points with the pen tool, you'd be able to flip, and continue adding  them there.

hmm, now that I see it practice, it's not so bad when sketching with the vector or pixel brush tool and you don't care about the layer order; I've set an express key on my wacom to perform the < V, cmd+A, /, V > combo and it's rather satisfying! On the flipside the undo stack fills up with extra moves...

Still @Herbert123 you've given me something to keep me going for now :) Thank you!