You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI Preset and Asset Setup Suggestion/Question

A mixed question and suggestion. For UI work, since we have 1x, 2x, 3x asset export (but no .5x export), why are UI presets, such as the iPhone 6 for example, offered by default set up at retina resolution? This switches from 72 ppi to 144ppi, meaning all assets are exported at @2x by default, correct? It seems the suggested workflow from the Export Persona (which is my standard workflow) is always to work at 1x and export up from there. So I typically switch to 72 dpi from one of these templates.

However, the bundled UI assets are all set up @2x to fit the retina-sized presets. It takes quite a bit of grouping and fiddling to proportionally size down these constraint-setup UI elements to work at 1x.

I would suggest having all vector UI assets set up at 1x by default based on the Export Persona, but for sake of resizing, I put together a quick video for how I set up an iOS status bar so that it's both using constraints and is resizable with a couple of clicks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0ua2oyt5t19c59/affinity-asset-constraints-suggestion.mp4?dl=0

I'm a developer, I've mostly just used affinity for making/modifying icons - not much full on UI design. However, I agree, I think it would make more sense for assets to be at 1x for the reasons you mentioned. I just posted an asset pack (in the resources forum) and wasn't really sure what scale to use, I ended up using 144 dpi like the iOS assets. I may post a version at 1x.