You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first panoramas, finally doable

Frank Jonen

Going through my first panoramas from 2003 / 2004 from my first dSLR. I screwed up so badly then with overlap, zoom lens nudging (the lens didn't have a proper zoom stopping mechanism, had to hold it tight) that so far every tool I tried made a mess of it. Affinity Photo barely made any mess. One branch didn't match, easy fix. Few smaller ones I had to paint over and the blurry leaves can't be helped but aren't much of a distraction. I'm just glad to finally have a chance to do them without spending days on end.

500px: https://500px.com/photo/182113985

Moving pan: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMkndzDDDnr/

Beautiful! That has to be at least 8 frames. Especially fun to watch the detail in the pan version.

Fun to watch, but difficult to take in all the detail at that speed! I found that I had to keep pausing the video to get a proper look at it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Almost spot on Jer, it's 9 segments/frames.  :)

Yeah, I hear you Alfred. :mellow:  It's difficult to get a good pan in on 15 seconds. I had to up the framerate to 60 fps to avoid smearing at that speed. Maybe Instagram will add a panorama viewer in the near future (Facebook's is just maddening to use. You're off by a little bit in calculations and they give you some pixellated mess.

Spent some time over the weekend to figure out a better way to showcase panoramas. Using parts of PTGui's WebGL viewer and tying it all together with Tumult's Hype and very little custom code. I found PTGui's viewer to be the most true viewer while still having good performance and not messing too much with the picture quality. I got the most control there over how the cyclorama is constructed. Mini map is made as an SVG in Designer and the image of the map is done in Photo. Constant back and forth with the two apps, no hitch no glitch.

Here's a test link if you want to check it out: http://panotest.frankjonen.com

What you can do:

• Double tap or tap the double arrows icon on top right to enter full-screen mode, just the pano, nothing else
  • The mini map has finger friendly tap targets to get more info on the respective areas
  • Looking around can be done by turning around while holding your tablet, by swiping with your finger, by dragging your mouse or rotating your trackball around the Y axis.

Disclaimer: It's designed for touch use mainly at this point and to be integrated into desktop websites later as a stand-alone item like an image or a video. I've tested it on iPad (which is the target platform) and desktop. I definitely won't go all out and build in special crutches for every Android device out there, just too many variations to count.

If it works, great if it doesn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ — as for iPads: I haven't tested it on the iPad Pro yet. It's designed for recent browsers on Desktop and iOS 9+ on tablets.

It's "hosted" on Dropbox, so download performance won't be like on a real web server. Fonts are stored on cloudfront, which is reasonably fast.