You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Paint Groups in AD

In AI, there is something called Live Paint Groups. Is there something similar in AD?

For reference: what you see here are three seperate shapes. The moment you make them into a Live Paint Group, every bordered shape (incl. the shape 'between' the square and circle), can be filled with a color.

creating-live-paint-group.jpg

I made a topic on this back in July. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22931-vector-flood-tool-for-affinity-designer/

I wouldn't mind having a regular flood fill tool. Sure we would have to adjust the stroke and fill separately, but with the boolean operations, it shouldn't take too much time. Just fill again and add. Personally, I think that would be my favorite feature if it does come to pass.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

As far as i know no. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Ok thank you. Would love this feature as it disables the need for bolean ops in complex illustrations, I mean, Divide everything isn't really a good solution haha. Plus, it really speeds up the workflow as once the live paint group is created, it all comes down to selecting your colors and single click the shapes you want the color in.

• 10 months later...

Indeed, some kind of Fill Empty Space tool (or Live paint Bucket) this would be nice for coloring comics strips as quickly as in Illustrator !

Meanwhile, we can use Divide shapes and changing colors of resulting shapes. But contour will not be small lines but a flat shape :S

https://i.imgur.com/6ohNMg6.gifv

(there is also other difference with Illustrator Live Paint, like the ability to have gaps)

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, AHumeniy said:

Coming from Illustrator, I really miss this tool. Sure, you can achieve most of it with booleans but using the tool is faster.

Same. I do miss that tool quite a lot, though I do keep discovering different designing techniques without it, and a huge advantage is actually having partially closed shapes. Let's say you have an ear in front on the side of a head. Rather than to draw one closed shape of the head and ear together or freehand open paths, have two filled objects with the head closed and the ear partially closed. That way, you can change the size of the ear without having to make changes to the head. I find it easiest to start off by drawing in open paths (freely). Then I analyze the drawing and decide where to make the closes. If I think I'll edit a certain section later, then I have that section as separate objects and perhaps have it partially closed. Hair, for example, is okay to have as two objects if you think you will change the length of a certain section later and not the whole thing.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 month later...