You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Cat tool?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 8:59 AM, Mark Ingram said:

You've found the easter egg (though we shouldn't have allowed it in customise)!

On Friday 13th, the cat shape becomes available. You can also access it by SHIFT+Click on the shape flyout tool button.

Did you know that number 13 is:

• an unlucky (day) number
  • If it comes in Friday it is even more unlucky, and
  • if it comes in July on Friday is the most unlucky day (as in this year)?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Did you know that number 13 is:

• an unlucky (day) number
  • If it comes in Friday it is even more unlucky, and
  • if it comes in July on Friday is the most unlucky day (as in this year)?

Well, I've always heard that but I'm not superstitious.  I've also heard that walking under a ladder is unlucky.  That could be true, especially if the person on the ladder dropped something as you walked under.  Many tall buildings don't even have a floor numbered 13 which is totally silly.  But a lot of people believe in those old myths. 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

3 minutes ago, MaryLou said:

Well, I've always heard that but I'm not superstitious.  I've also heard that walking under a ladder is unlucky.  That could be true, especially if the person on the ladder dropped something as you walked under.  Many tall buildings don't even have a floor numbered 13 which is totally silly.  But a lot of people believe in those old myths. 

Me too. I've just mentioned just as curiousity.

BTW, I think they add the cat (and not dog or some other animal) because most of Affinity staff are cat lovers. It could be seen at the very beggining of Affinity and most avatars of the staff were cats. They've also organized a competition for best cat drawing with Designer. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

This coming Friday will be our 44th wedding anniversary. We've had many great Friday the 13th anniversaries. But maybe another old adage comes into play, Lucky in ____, unlucky in love, only reversed. Never been lucky in most parts of my life, except whom I married.

And I walk under ladders all the time.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

This coming Friday will be our 44th wedding anniversary. We've had many great Friday the 13th anniversaries. But maybe another old adage comes into play, Lucky in ____, unlucky in love, only reversed. Never been lucky in most parts of my life, except whom I married.

And I walk under ladders all the time.

Congratulations!!   Friday the 13th was definitely a lucky day for you.  My father-in-law was very superstitious. If a black cat crossed the road in front of him when he was driving, he would turn the car around and go back and never drive down that road again.  So silly but he was one of those who believed strongly in those old stories.  If a bird flew into the house, someone was going to die.  Spilling salt was unlucky unless you picked up a pinch and tossed it over your left shoulder.  Opening an umbrella inside the house would bring bad luck on everyone who lived there.  And.. it goes on and on and on.  I don't understand how people can actually believe in these kinds of things but.. that's the way it is!!

Maybe the cat should be named after its creator! 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

2 hours ago, MaryLou said:

My father-in-law was very superstitious. If a black cat crossed the road in front of him when he was driving, he would turn the car around and go back and never drive down that road again.

In the UK, black cats are considered to bring good luck, not bad luck.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)