You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making logo/text transparent

Hi folks,

I'm back at it again with a simple question!  (I have purchased the Designer book so hopefully will have less and less questions as I learn more)

Basically I'm just trying to make the letters and logo 'cut' into the black for a reverse print.  I've played with the blending mode to 'erase' but I don't think that's the best way to do it, especially once I have to export?  I've also converted the text to curves to try to figure it out...and just changing the blend mode to erase makes it totally disappear.

I'm not sure if I should be dragging it to create a mask?  I know if I drag it onto the black it does the opposite of what I want to do.. ha :) 

post-23069-0-17286200-1478632170_thumb.png

post-23069-0-52992800-1478632171_thumb.png

Thanks again for the help you guys always give,

-T

Hi Redcup,

Rather than dragging, you can select all layers (i believe you have to put the logo layer on top of the rectangle) and apply a Boolean operation (subtract). It's in the toolbar (Add, Subtract, Intersect, Divide...). Make sure you press the Option key while doing this to make it possible to change your layers afterward.

Hope this makes it clear. Not sure, though.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

This may have to do with that you grouped the logo elements. What you could do is ungroup them and do this exercise for all logo elements one by one. 

I created something with a text and a ellipse and got this to work.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Was about to post, but what @RNKLN says is right. Groups cannot be subtracted. The individual shapes can be subtracted.

Or, you can take all the shapes and use the boolean combine operation. Then all can be subtracted at once.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks again for taking the time to help out RNKLN and gdenby!  I downloaded the file you provided and it works great!  Thanks.  For some reason I still can't translate the steps to my own logo - and it could be partially to do with my logo is in 3 pieces.  Is there a 'merge' function like there is in Illustrator?

Thanks guys.

I haven't used Illus- for at least 5 years. I think what you want is the AD boolean combine. Ungroup the shapes. Then select them and use "Layer/Geometry/Combine." or click the toolbar widget at the far right of the boolean operation gizmos. The resulting combine can be subtracted from the underlaying rectangle.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet