You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grain Effect using Equation Filter

paolo.limoncelli

Go to the Macro panel and choose to 'Import' and import that .afmacro file - that should work (mine did). I think there is a bit of confusion about the .afmacro vs .afmacros extension - one is an individual macro (to be imported to the Macro panel) and the other is a collection of Macros to be imported to the Library panel. I think we should make this much easier in the future, sorry...

Ah-ah!

Now I have this clear...  :)

In this case I suggest to allow the "single macro" import from Library too, appending it to the open category.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Kirk I seem to recall in one of James' great tutorial videos on Macros, that if you add the expression * 0.2 to the end of your equations, you can limit the top range of the slider the user gets to modify to 0.2 as the max limit... not sure if this is helpful but I noticed in your description in the macro it suggests an adequate range, that's why I mention it... thanks for sharing this with the community it's another wonderful tool in out arsenal!

No problem.  I probably should have removed those things, but this way the user, at least at this stage in the development, is cued to recall the default value - in case they forget and want to go back to the default.

Can you edit the macro?  If so, you can click on the gear icon next to each control I exposed to bring up the rigging controls.  Click on the eye to un-expose the control, then click on it again to re-expose it - this should give you the opportunity to rename to control that appears in the dialog.  This way you can customize the control names.

Have fun!

kirk

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

But I cannot import the file in Affinity 1.5 Windows

BTW doesént the file type "afmacro" should be afmacros

Anyway  that does not solve the pb. Affinity says "Unexpected macro format"

As MattP explained above, a *.macro file contains a single macro to be imported to the Macro panel, but a *.macros file contains a collection of macros to be imported to the Library panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, you can scale the effect in the equation with a constant - you could even make one of the three parameters (a, b or c) the scaling factor and expose that also, allowing a user driven range for the slider max!

I sort of forgot about this thread I was so busy last week.  Glad I stumbled back into it!

kirk

• 4 months later...

Dropbox link to macro file:  https://db.tt/pNOXLuvXmy

File doesn't seem to work, doesn't get imported into AP, even if I add "s" to file extension.

Got it to import once I had a file open and imported from Macro tab, not Library as was suggested earlier in thread. This looks great, btw. Thanks

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order