You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.2 - Beta 4)

• Staff

Sorry, I’m late to the party to congratulate because – well, so did I. :)

Congratulations, Matt. I was already wondering what’s up with you being so quiet and distant. Glad to have you back.

Fantastic news!!!! Hope you and your family are doing well? :)

It works by sending tiles to the device, but your artboard can be the size of a device and if that is smaller than the host device then it will run in a simulator mode for that hardware. If your artboard is the size of the device itself then obviously you'll be seeing your document correctly laid out for the device. It doesn't impose an iPad size onto an arbitrary artboard and then re-layout on the device, if that's what you mean?

It previews your design on the device, it doesn't send the document structure to the device and get it to re-render... For that, you'd need the iOS versions of Designer/Photo that just let you design on the device itself...

hm why not let the iOS App store the content and also render it without the need of an attached PC? :unsure: the code is ported to iOS anyway

that would be so much more flexible  :rolleyes:

Okay, so I have both the Beta and paid versions of Designer installed on my mac and I get "retail version required" each time I open the Beta. Ideas?

Never mind....I just saw someone already answered this question on the page prior. Maybe I will be able to utilize the mac store version.

Edited by MEGraphicDesign

• Staff

hm why not let the iOS App store the content and also render it without the need of an attached PC? :unsure: the code is ported to iOS anyway

that would be so much more flexible  :rolleyes:

Because the aim for the project is to be able to ultimately send your client a link to the project that they can view on a browser when you're done, that you can then update from your end and it will update for them. It's also about scalability - an iPad 2 or 3 has no chance of rendering a big document in a timely fashion, so it would not be scalable.

We understand the need for an on-device version of the product, that's why we are making one. But there's also need for this product too...

Because the aim for the project is to be able to ultimately send your client a link to the project that they can view on a browser when you're done, that you can then update from your end and it will update for them. It's also about scalability - an iPad 2 or 3 has no chance of rendering a big document in a timely fashion, so it would not be scalable.

We understand the need for an on-device version of the product, that's why we are making one. But there's also need for this product too...

you mean like on a browser on their iOS device?

ok agreed, makes some sense :ph34r:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12995-ios-versions-for-ipad-pro/?p=104943

that performance part is interesting, so probably the iPad Air will already be able to run the iOS Apps, sounds good to me....

cheers  :)

• Staff

you mean like on a browser on their iOS device?

No, I mean that if you're designing a website complete with prototype interactions that you'll be able to mail a link to your client and they can view it in their browser on whatever device they have. Not everything is app design, so it will be a general purpose mirror :)

No, I mean that if you're designing a website complete with prototype interactions that you'll be able to mail a link to your client and they can view it in their browser on whatever device they have. Not everything is app design, so it will be a general purpose mirror :)

ah ok I see

but the website will also be able to be "interactive"?

is that an option then? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21239-ad-prototyping-links-web-iphone/?p=108154 building a sort of portfolio using that?

What? You mean that in future I’ll be able to trash my Justinmind subscription, Quartz Composer or Origami?

• Staff

ah ok I see

but the website will also be able to be "interactive"?

is that an option then? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21239-ad-prototyping-links-web-iphone/?p=108154 building a sort of portfolio using that?

Yes on both counts :)  I would expect the website version to be equivalent to the iOS version in terms of interactivity and you could certainly try to use the mirror as a sort-of portfolio if you wished :)

• 2 weeks later...

What? You mean that in future I’ll be able to trash my Justinmind subscription, Quartz Composer or Origami?

Matt are you working on a prototyping tool in AD? :)

Thank you, Matt, for this explanation …   :)

(Exactly, I was thinking that you could apply constraints to your objects within an [almost] arbitrarily sized artboard and have the app relayout your contents according to your directives on the device. Hmm, I am just thinking … what about a true Prototyping persona in the future? Wouldn’t that be a killer feature for UI and Web designers?)

Was thinking the same thing. That’s how it should work ideally. Not just get some snapshot of the current artboard.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• 2 weeks later...

I am unable to use this beta. I am told that I need to have the retail version installed, but I already do.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am unable to use this beta. I am told that I need to have the retail version installed, but I already do.

Yeah, you have a newer version installed than this beta. Why would you use an outdated beta? The latest official version is 1.5.4; even if you had 1.5.2 that version is newer than the 1.5.2 beta. Remember, beta versions come before the official version of the same version number.

Yeah, you have a newer version installed than this beta. Why would you use an outdated beta? The latest official version is 1.5.4; even if you had 1.5.2 that version is newer than the 1.5.2 beta. Remember, beta versions come before the official version of the same version number.

Oops. Even though I already purchased it, I was thinking in my head the version was just 1.5. But anyway, this is a customer beta, not a regular beta. So it can only be used after the purchase, right?. In the Windows section, the retail version was 1.5.0.36, and the most recent customer beta after that was 1.5.1.43.

The bottom line is, there are bugs in my purchase, so I was checking here for any new betas.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.