You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.2 - Beta 4)

Hi 

Not sure where to post this... I bought Designer early on, at a discounted rate, being sick of Adobe. When I tried to upgrade to this version, the App Store made me buy it again, rather than get the upgrade - which are meant to be free, forever... right?

Mac refunded my money when I complained, so all cool there, but now when I try to upgrade to 1.5.3, I am told "This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

Well, that's not cool at all! Affinity?

Phil

Are you the only user of your mac? COuld you be logged in into a different account like they say. Apple's pretty quick to catch these things.

• Staff

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, the updates are only free until the next major version (2.0). The App Store app should only prompt you to buy the app "again" if you are logged in with a different Apple ID than the one used to buy the application the first time. If you are sure you were logged in with the same Apple ID you used to buy the app then something went wrong. You have to contact the App Store support directly and explain them that for some reason you weren't able to update the app/the update wasn't available and you end up buying the app again by mistake and so requested a refund.

We don't have any control over the Mac App Store/purchases. It's Apple who manages all customers/purchases themselves.

Hi Tekikou,

Try the following please:  create a new document then go to the File ▸ Export and change the Area dropdown to Whole document. Then open the original document and try to export again.

If this doesn't solve the issue, press and hold ctrl while launching the application from Launchpad then select Clear from the dialog that will open to reset the app.

You should now be able to export your file without issues.

The first solution worked, thank you!  :D

• Staff

Thanks - no, I'm the only user. All other apps update fine; just this one has the problem. It doesn't seem to think I bought it... :(

It may be an App Store app cache issue or similar. Try to solve the Mac App Store issue first so you can update the app again and then we can try to check what's going on with the updates.

As I said you don't have to buy the app again until version 2.0.

One thing about corner : 

- draw a shape

- make a corner

- resize the shape

The corner doesn't resize, you must convert in curve before if you want to maintain proportions and you lose the benefit of editable corners.

Is there a way to retroactively export Assets from the Beta? My own fault, but I updated to the latest MAS version before exporting the Assets I built up in the Beta and now I'm back to square one. Lesson learned.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Affinity Designer crashed when I tried to export (File -> Exports…). I attached the crashlog.

It keeps crashing when I try to export.

On Sierra?

I tried to reproduce it on Sierra with Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2 and I get this behavior when I move the pointer before the release of click. A micro movement can happen sometimes between click and release.

• Staff

I can reproduce this in Windowed mode as well. It seems related with how fast you click with the mouse. If you target the boundaries of the button quickly (try on the bottom boundarie) it behaves like in the clip posted by Tekikou. Try to click a few times repeatedly and you should be able to replicate it probably due micro movements as _Teo pointed out.

Click and dragging from the button also does it.

• Staff

Am I wrong?

I did get an update via the App Store of AD, version 1.5.3

If I try the beta 1.5.2 beta 4. I get the window: Retail Version Required.

What is going wrong?

See a screen dump of the installed versions.

The 1.5.3 that you've installed from the Mac App Store is newer than the 1.5.2 Beta and as such, the Beta doesn't know about it so thinks it's not the retail version it was expecting you to have. There's nothing to worry about there though as the 1.5.3 App Store version is a slightly improved version of the beta :)

It looks really good - it'll be in a public beta very soon (we'll put out a call for TestFlight invites soon)

I am wondering about something however. Does it just send a screenshot of the selected artboard that’s scaled on the device you are using? Or does the UI preview update based on the constraints you set and properly show on the device? Hope it makes sense.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

It works by sending tiles to the device, but your artboard can be the size of a device and if that is smaller than the host device then it will run in a simulator mode for that hardware. If your artboard is the size of the device itself then obviously you'll be seeing your document correctly laid out for the device. It doesn't impose an iPad size onto an arbitrary artboard and then re-layout on the device, if that's what you mean?

It previews your design on the device, it doesn't send the document structure to the device and get it to re-render... For that, you'd need the iOS versions of Designer/Photo that just let you design on the device itself...

Thank you, Matt, for this explanation …  :)

(Exactly, I was thinking that you could apply constraints to your objects within an [almost] arbitrarily sized artboard and have the app relayout your contents according to your directives on the device. Hmm, I am just thinking … what about a true Prototyping persona in the future? Wouldn’t that be a killer feature for UI and Web designers?)

Hi Matt … and Dave,

sorry for bothering you. However, is there a chance that this

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18412-consistency-for-shortcuts-in-caret-cursor-navigation/

will be implemented anytime soon? Since Affinity Publisher is delayed until the end of 2017, it would be great if at least the text editing possibilities of Affinity Designer could be improved in the mean time. I have become accustomed to using Affinity Designer for smaller page layout projects, and it would be just *wonderful*, if you were able to find the time to implement the customization options described in my post above.

Furthermore, here is another question: Would it be possible to change the triple click behavior on single lines? Triple clicking a line that ends with a line break will always select the return mark as well. So, if you just want to quickly change the text of, say, a caption, without actually removing the caption from the text body, you cannot quickly select the line by triple clicks. See my video. Please consider changing that.

Thank you,

Alex  :)

Hi! I just get this message:

"Retail version required

A purchased copy of Affinity Designer must be installed to use this beta."

I am running latest versions of both Designer and Photo from the Mac Appstore. Affinity Photo beta opens nicely, but not this one...

Ideas?

Cheers,

Tom

Ideas from this very thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27626-affinity-designer-customer-beta-152-beta-4/?p=138620

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27626-affinity-designer-customer-beta-152-beta-4/?p=138655

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.